• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

OBD-I: Reading Your Codes

JiFaire

Lieutenant
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
I have good news: Since your truck is a 1994 or 1995, that means it has an OBD-I computer. You don't need a fancy-dan code reader to check your codes, just a paper-clip or jumper wire.

Under your steering column, you have an ALDL plug that looks like the attached picture. With the key off, take a metal paper clip (or another suitable jumper wire) and place the ends in holes A and B. Get a piece of paper and pencil handy, watch the SES light on your dash (beside the speedometer), and turn the key to the ON position. The SES light should start flashing.

flash-(pause)-flash-flash-(long pause) ... that's a code 12.

All DTC codes will be repeated 3 times. Write them down as they come up. For instance, you could get:

17-18-35-36-71

That means you have codes 17, 18, 35, 36, and 71

When you're done, and the codes are all written down, clear them by pushing the brake and accelerator pedals to the floor, hold them for 15 seconds, let them up, push them down again, hold, and turn the key off.

Turning the key on again should get you only a repeating code 12 (all is well).

Shut the key off, remove the jumper.

NEVER put the jumper in or take it out with the key on!!

Attachments

• ALDL connector.JPG
    ALDL connector.JPG
    7.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Back