• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Nope not doing those gaskets.

Stoney

Reaction score
Got all these parts that I've acquired over the winter put on the truck... Only thing left to do is those dang valve cover gaskets...stood there looking at the top of the engine for about an hour....and realize just how much of the top of that engine I have to take apart just to change the valve cover gaskets.... Nope not doing it... What happened to the old days where you took out 6 bolts pulled the cover off put some permatex on there and put it back . I've never seen a vehicle that you have to pull the injectors and intake from the looks of it to get the valve covers off.

Can't blame you for hesitation. You've done a lot of work so far and the task is daunting but, worth it. I think it is safe to say that 'what happened to the days' is you bought a diesel that is 'way more simpler than a gasser' in some ways but, as with all things, there is a trade off. Even replacing the valve cover gaskets on my 95 Tahoe w/ 350 gasser wasn't just 6 bolts though.

Injectors can stay put but, the lines are coming off in order to get the valve covers off unless you want to just try bending them which means you're replacing them which means your pulling all this stuff anyway so...enough of the sarcasm, sorry.

Turbo (four 13mm nuts plus two 10mm bolts at the oil return [new gasket there as well] two 10mm for the upper brace and the other brace is either 13 or 15mm at the turbo plus the hose clamps);
Upper intake is six 13mm bolts and small screw driver to disconnect sensors;
Lower intake is 16 15mm bolts lower intake plus the nuts on the studs holding down the other end of the turbo brace, grounds, heater hose and (in any) solenoid braces;
19mm IIRC for the injector lines (mark and memorize the order they came off) and 6 or 8mm for the little screws holding the injector line retainers to their brackets.
There's probably something I'm forgetting but, that's the gist of it. Then you can get after the valve covers. I replaced the bolts with studs to help keep the covers aligned.
You'll be glad you did the job when finished even though it is a bunch of work. My back hurts just thinking about it.

I had the injector lines off of Mine 6.5 and did not mess with resealing the valve covers, they were not leaking and thus far are still dry.
I just hope and pray that they dont start seeping anytime soon. LOL
Now it is something I think about from time to time, I do not like having unnecessary concerns drifting around in My head. LOL

Once you have 175,000 or more and you have it down to the valve covers, I like to open them then. Not worrying about oil leak, but piece of crap used plastic rocker arm retainers. I do all them, wire wheel the valve covers and spend a minute straightening the covers, and brake cleaner to finish. Clean head good also and use Permetex The Right Stuff with NO gaskets. It never leaks.

As for removing the injector lines, do it individually do them- do it as group. Going back on, bottom fittings on ip first.

About not doing it now- if it isn’t leaking, leave
It if that is your concern. Wait till it leaks to fix the leak.

And SO MANY TIMES I wanted flexible injector lines. Or front 4 go around front of heads and rear 4 around rear.

Back