• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

No start

khills

Reaction score
So the engine ran awesome for the last little while then I could feel a slight surge which got worse over the last 2 weeks. Now it’s so bad it won’t start. It will run for a second and that’s it. Lots of smoke. It has new pmd, injectors, ip, timing chain and gears, all sensors are new except boost, new fuel filter and lift pump. No codes present. Checked for air on fuel line at ip inlet. No air. I’m stumped and so angry I want to sell the pos!! Please help

Where did the IP come from?

Do you have a good KNOWN working PMD? Both IP and PMD can be bad new out of the box

When you did the timing chain and gears did you make sure the gears were all lined up with each other properly? There are marks on the gears that have to line up with each other

Is the lift pump working?

is fuel coming out of the RETURN line fitting of the IP? Put a clear line on it to check for flow/ air there

Did you reset timing with a scanner after replacing IP?

Where did you get the IP? There's another new thread on here from another fellow who got a bunk reman IP from Pensacola Diesel. With the DS4 being discontinued getting a reliable unit is getting pretty hit or miss

Nice you're checking all electrical pins and whatnot, keep us posted on what comes up

Ha there’s no way I’d buy a pump from Pensacola. They screwed me over and it took a year and a half of throwing parts at this thing til I changed it out and it ran like a top until now. And they never did anything to help me as in return at least 1/2 the money I wasted. It’s an original gm pump.

so I tested two pcm’s and they both are giving me 2 volts, not 4 like I said earlier, at the green wire on the pmd plug. So I’m gonna say they’re ok. I’m wondering if the crank position sensor is narfed. It’s not throwing a code but it seems to me I’ve heard over the years that a bad crank sensor won necessarily throw a code. Have you any experience with this? Also I’m looking for the resistance spec for the crank sensor. I’m figuring it’s around 200ish ohms. The pcm is providing power and ground at the sensor plug so that’s all covered. Right now I’ve got a lift pump connected directly to the ip to eliminate any questionable issues from the tank to the ip and it still won’t start. Will continue this saga tomorrow. Sigh

the 6.5's will start up with ether the crank sensor or the optical sensor disconnected but not both. it will take an extended time cranking but should start with one or the other unplugged. if your scanner will show live data, look for RPM signal when cranking.

I assume the PCM's you tried are for 6.5 engines and not a gasser? for the 98 years I think they all look the same and will connect to the harness but have different programming. I may be wrong though.

Back