• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

No start in the cold, bad glow plugs/relay?

Reaction score
So it happened again today, this time after work. Took almost 2 hours of keeping it on a charger to keep the batteries from draining, as well as a couple of heat guns, a fair amount of WD40, and a lot of cursing. At least my coworkers are always willing to help. I load tested the batteries after work, and they were fine. Checking glow plugs tonight. I've got a feeling that it's either them or a weak relay. The truck was plugged in overnight, and started up with relative ease this morning, after getting down to about 15* last night. However, after sitting for 10 hours at the office with nothing, it refused to start just like last night. Any input would be appreciated

So what kind of glow plugs are in it? Do you have a manual override for them. Also if injectors are getting long in the tooth it won't help any.

I have no clue what it's currently got. Bought the truck a year and a half ago, and haven't done plugs yet. The glow time is extended from the tune I'm running. I know that I need injectors. I just wanted to the truck to get through the winter so I didn't have to do work in the cold

If the glow plug replacement is not underway yet and still gathering parts, consider Leroy's GP puller. Sure it is a little pricey, but worth the cost if you have swolen GP's. Naturally can try to get them out without Leroy's puller and, if any are swollen, just live with the dead ones (hopefully not many) while waiting for the puller.

Bosch duraterms or AC Delco 60G's

I use AC Delco 60g's because they are easily available and cheap. About $9 a piece at Autozone the last time I bought.

I've gotten them for as little as $16 a set. I don't know why - but that is what they rang up as in a box of 8. I had no problem with that

Did you disconnect the batteries and load test them one at a time? It's the only way to get a true reading.

It is also good to let the batteries sit for at least 20 minutes after charging before load testing. A lot of times batteries will pass if tested shortly after being unhooked from a charger.

It is also a good idea to have batteries load tested when you buy them.

Last edited:
Back