• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

No New Post in this Forum in 2.5 Weeks

Marauderer

Grumpy Old Cur***geon
Reaction score
Now I know the LLY/LBZ motors are really good but not perfect.

Is everyone on vacation?

Or is no one having any problems with their motor?

How many of you guys think the left exhaust manifold is a significant restriction and needs to be addressed.

Are the internal of the LBZ motor good for 600 hp??? (Like putting on an MPI twin set up and all the support equipment)

Is it Christmas time and no one has time to post.

I was 15*F in Powder springs, Ga this morning and it was cold but, my LBZ motor cranked right up and took me to work.

Yea Buddy!!!

They are pretty close!

Internals are good for how you treat it. The occasional weekend warrior is a gamble with the LBZ pistons. I would concentrate on a trans build if you looking to put twins on.

You really have developed the sickness haven't you Barry...?:agreed:
I also wouldn't trust the stock LBZ pistons at over 500 HP or so. They are a known weakness at above that level. Since mine is a DD and over 145k and I plan on getting 300k out of it, I'm pretty content to stay with the Predator as it is or maybe EFI one day down the road with a Transgo Jr update. I couldn't be happier with the truck.:D

You really have developed the sickness haven't you Barry...?:agreed:
I also wouldn't trust the stock LBZ pistons at over 500 HP or so. They are a known weakness at above that level. Since mine is a DD and over 145k and I plan on getting 300k out of it, I'm pretty content to stay with the Predator as it is or maybe EFI one day down the road with a Transgo Jr update. I couldn't be happier with the truck.:D

Mike, it is an affliction I have had all my life:eek:.

I am stuck with it and just have to deal with it.:hihi:

I am very happy with my truck also and there are a lot of variables that will have to be addressed before I turn it up anymore:D

Unfortunately I think the Transgo Jr is a very weak band-aid on the Allison. I really don't want to go inside the motor because if I do the pistons there is the crank, rods, studs, and a variety of other parts that really need to be addressed so I don't have to go back in for a bunch of miles. Wow the costs really go up exponentially after about 550-600 hp.

Hey Woodchuck, Thanks, a new LLY/LBZ thread would be great. I didn't do anything to my LBZ today but did get my PPE Tie rod sleevs and Cognito Pit and Idl arm braces installed.

Barry, as far as the trans goes, I would find a competent builder first then let them dictate the appropriate parts and build. I say so because there is a life time of support if there is ever a problem and there is a nack to the allison that most people whom never touched on wont know.

As far as twins ect, the bottom end will live forever at 1000 hp if you rarely utilize that power. If your planning weekly 1/4 mile high rev passes then you will be running on borrowed time. It really is a crap shoot. I believe the lbz rods are the strongest rods out of them all, but the pistons seem to be the weak link in stock form. There are some good threads on budget builds over on mcrats site. Even though they will still bust alot of budgets:D

Great suggestions Stacks!!:) The only problem is I am one of those that likes the challenge of doing it myself. I also have a limited budget and the kit is expensive enough that I will have to wait a few months to accumulate enough to do the job.:mad2:

The other situation I have is that "Mr. Murphy" loves me and in the past few decades I have learned if I don't build something as bullet proof as i can the "Mr. Murphy" is chewing on my rump compounding the situation.:eek:

Back