• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

No more stumble, lope, etc! Problem solved!

SnowDrift

Ultra Conservative. ULTRA!
Reaction score
I posted this in another forum because some guys there helped me, as well. I know there are some, though, that frequent here only and I didn't want to leave anyone out. I hope a copy/paste is ok with everyone. Thanks all!

Any of you that have offered advice and such, I really appreciate it. Several of you guys have been on board with this thing over the past year or so and since I don't see many miles with this anymore, I haven't been as diligent with it as I would have once been.

I made an appointment with a local diesel shop called Purrformance Diesel. I thought I had heard the name before and after doing a search (after my truck was already torn down in their shop), I found a not so great experience thread from another member here. Anyhow, after running through the normal diagnostics, the tech. guy narrowed it down the the pump. He thought it was the armature.

Side note, about 1/4 of the way into my hour long drive to get to this shop, before I stopped to splash some fuel in and didn't think I was going to make it to my destination. The engine would no longer idle and I had to double foot it to the station, and then for the rest of my trip. The engine had a major lope to it. I'm talking like a alcohol burning pulling truck lope. Once the tech. guy was on it, he told me it was going from 8mm of fuel to 40mm of fuel during the lope.

Before I drove over to this shop, though, I had a friend of mine that gave me a pump, for which he didn't know the history. It turned out to be a near new pump, as the pump guy at Purrformance Diesel said he felt it had almost no miles on it. He guessed at a couple hundred, since it looked so completely new, but had fuel inside it.

To make a long story short, they used the pump I brought with me, set the TDC offset at -1.85 and I drove home on Friday. It ran fine with no stumbles, lope, missing, etc.

The only thing I was really displeased about was that they must have left the windows down all week because the inside of my truck was horrible with dust. I was less than pleased, to say the least, but it could have been worse, I guess.

I had labor for diagnostics, test labor for two pumps and removal and reinstallation of the other pump to the tune of $620. I'd like to post a photo of the part that is broke. It's a bad photo, but I think it shows if you look closely. It is a 2 mb file, though, so I don't think I can load it. If anyone can reduce the file size for me, I'll send it to them.

Thanks again, for everyone's help!

SnowDrift

That's part of it Ryan, I'll have to find the cutaway graphic and post it, was the armature shaft broken ???

Glad to see you finally got this resolved, also glad we exhausted all the free quasi "easy" stuff 1st, if you would post a summary of the whole troubleshooting effort.

Last edited:
No, the armature shaft was not broken. The tech. guy just thought it may have been due to the symptoms it was showing after he exhausted the troubleshooting things he was trying.

I'll follow up with a summary of this long, drawn out event. Some here haven't been able to follow this saga since the beginning.:)

Back