• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

No gear indicator no crank

luke22494

Reaction score
I am working on a 98 crew cab 2wd dually that had the pump pulled off due to “pump out of time but ran good”. I have it back running again but with the intake still off just to check everything out. My problem is that i have to jump the starter relay to make it start. With the key in acc position the gear indicator light comes on but goes out when i turn the key to the run position. The engine will not turn over by the key. I did notice that the wait to start light and the park indicator light will flash back and forth sometimes when i hold the key in the crank position. I have never seen this before. Im thinking ignition switch or nsbu switch. Thanks in advance.

It is probably the ignition switch.
It is actually a harness, it is fairly easy to replace.
Check Youtube since the gasser have the same part for 88-98 GM Truck.

Make sure you get the ACDelco part, it is more expensive than the aftermarket but I heard it should last longer.

BEFORE you do this, make sure the batteries are load tested one at a time.
All grounds are good and that includes the electrical cables.

The ignition switch and multifunction switch were actually unplugged when i started working on this truck. Im coming behind somebody on this job. Batteries were just replaced due to truck sitting for a couple years before they pulled it in the shop for me to work on. Grounds are questionable. Thanks for the reply.

They are bolted to the coolant crossover blockoff at the rear of the r/s head. Naturally one is broke off. I ran out of bolts to put everything back together and didnt find them in the 6” of mulched leaves in the bed where everything else was so needless to say im done for the day. Ill have to raid my 6.5 bolt collection when i get back home. Half my day yesterday was spent cleaning rust from everything.

Put them on a stud that isn't open to coolant. The sealer can cause a bad ground.

Back