• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

No fuel.

Nessmuk

Reaction score
Nothing coming out of the injection pump. Fuel is getting to it. Took number 2 line loose and cranked, no output. Dead on side of road. This is the new moose pump with the no hot starts issue when I got it.

No dis-respect but it seems like you have absolutely terrible luck with your fueling lol Does the fuel shut off solenoid have power?

I have 4 levels of filtration, sediment, screen, filter and filter. I have pre, post first and post second pressure gauges. New, expensive fuel pump. Built in fuel bleeder valve so I know it has good flow post filters. All new pump and injectors.

Even if it has power, maybe the fuel solenoid is stuck or malfunctioning. If you have fuel getting to the pump, not sure why it isn't getting out outside of the fuel shutoff. These mechanical pumps are pretty simple. It's not too hard to test. Just pull the top 3 screws off the top and remove and see if you can visually see the FSO operating. But if you do that, make dang sure you get it back where it is suppose to go in the pump. It is possible to have the shaft installed 180*, but I assume if you are left on the side of the road, that it was running at one point and then just stopped.

There is a solenoid that sits in the top of the injection pump. There should be your FSO wire going to the pump (I can't remember the color, pink maybe). When the solenoid gets energized, it opens, allowing fuel flow. When there is no power, it shuts, not allowing fuel. That's what shuts your truck down when you flip the key off. If you add and remove power from this solenoid, I'd think you should be able to see it move (there is an arm that comes off of it facing down that goes to the linkage below)

I think if you had a multi-meter, you might be able to test it without pulling the cover, but to be honest, not sure what values/trend you would be looking for. Electronics is not my strong point

If I had to guess, when the solenoid doesn't have power, your Ohms should be higher than when it has power. Or vise versa. I'm not sure what position the solenoid sits when it has power. If there is little to no change, I'd suspect a bad solenoid

Does the pump click? On/Off power terminal: it's the pink most forward terminal on the IP as the other is cold start... Don't open the pump without knowing the warranty is void terms. Also it's a trick to get the top back on without jamming the metering valve wide open for a runaway. You have to bring the top housing toward the front of the engine then down and back. Make sure the off solenoid clicks when you are done or do it over.

I guess I don't know what the solenoid part looks like under the cover. I've been in there and seen the metering rod and adjustment screw. I have an old 6.2 pump I can nab parts from.

Back