• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Nissan/Cummins 5.0 V8 diesel

Get a pair of good walking shoes. It has the CP4 "glitter bomb" injection pump that Cummins quit using on the 6.7 and even GM quit using on the Duramax. Loose the CP4 and replace 8 injectors plus the ENTIRE fuel system.

It's got Glow Plugs. It's got timing chains. All things you are well aware of, but, now buried in a tight small-er truck engine bay. I read the 2016's had the most trouble with turbo's (recalled) and EGR coolers.

It wasn't enough truck to tow my 5th wheel, priced about the same as a 3/4 ton, but, not a 3/4 ton. Some 1/2 ton gas pickups are "more truck". So no real market for it and Cummins canceled Nissan as they were not selling many.

I have seen like three in the area, ever. This one sat still for a picture.

50Cummins_Nissan.JPG

Parts are a nightmare on anything today due to the pandemic supply chain mess. Getting parts from Japan for a Nissan pickup was no end of trouble in the mid 90's for the folks next door.

Now you have a low production example and out of production at that. Reliability (or not) isn't even a question: It will be real fun to wait around for parts on this.

If the RAM dealer doesn't have an engine part I can sometimes get them from Cummins: sometimes they are even cheaper than a MOPAR box. Like a water pump. Except the RAM specific parts have to be MOPAR.

At the risk of adding bad noise to the conversation, I had read cases where IIRC the crank would fail somewhere around the 100K mark. Do not know how wide spread the issue was, but a few years ago there were some high milers whom suddenly needed a new engine. And, Yes, am rather certain it was a hard part failure like the crank, and not the injection system. Did not follow that platform enough to see how Nissan addressed the issue, but at first it appeared where they were not very public about it and folks in the forums seemed a bit concerned.

I have looked into the Nissan and it looks like a good platform. If I did not have a heavier level of towing usages, its gas V8 would definitely get a serious look.

Get a pair of good walking shoes. It has the CP4 "glitter bomb" injection pump that Cummins quit using on the 6.7 and even GM quit using on the Duramax. Loose the CP4 and replace 8 injectors plus the ENTIRE fuel system.

It's got Glow Plugs. It's got timing chains. All things you are well aware of, but, now buried in a tight small-er truck engine bay. I read the 2016's had the most trouble with turbo's (recalled) and EGR coolers.

It wasn't enough truck to tow my 5th wheel, priced about the same as a 3/4 ton, but, not a 3/4 ton. Some 1/2 ton gas pickups are "more truck". So no real market for it and Cummins canceled Nissan as they were not selling many.

I have seen like three in the area, ever. This one sat still for a picture.

View attachment 74186

I have seen a few on the Interstate pulling big campers about like that one in the picture. Seems like I saw one locally in the parking lot at Lowes, the owner could have been in the construction business. I wondered how that engine and truck combination would hold up. I guess we now Know The Rest Of The Story.

It seemed like a promising engine. Like ideal if you could swap one into a Suburban, but I think the CP injection pump, as WarWagon noted, is the death knell. If not for that, a deleted engine running in Montana could see a long and uninspected life.

I would go to the pre def fluid duramax and just include the FASS/airdogg lp & filtermset up. All the fleet literature I have read on them- there is simply no way I would run any of the post 2000 year diesels without them. Then adding in lubricant, it just is part of the costof owning a modern diesel. Don’t have to like it, just have to do it.

Just don't let those "changes" cost you more than the cost of the truck.
Well it was a bit spendy on the front end but it is nice to not worry about those bothersome performance choking bits...
Not to mention the great exhaust note.
Too bad I don't get out to the interstates any more like when I worked. I get great mileage at 70 and above.

Back