• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Newer John Deere 4WD utility tractors

3500GMC

What T F, over
Reaction score
There's the E's M's maybe a few others.. R? Is this export?

Mostly looking at the M's 5085M, 5100M on up to the 5115M.. Are these made 'cheap'? How about the E's?

I know virtually nothing about 'em. Any experiences to share?

Are you looking at new or used a few yrs old? Aren't the M's the top of the line models. Supposedly better insulation and operator comfort. And the E's are I think the middle line. M's have the easiest to use controls with some electronic draft control and returns etc. Kinda of macked out models. Isn't the R series more row crop oriented and not a true Utility??? Personally I like the more mechanical models since I don't operate mine everyday. I hope it has fewer bugs and glitches with time. The M's do look awful comfy though.

I have a 2008 5603 they later changed to the 5101E. And I think they for while named them limited series. Mine has the 12F/R power reverser and E PTO. But with mechanical PTO engagement. The newer ones with green painted engines and drivetrain I think are electronic PTO engagement. I really like the power shuttle and option to run an economy PTO RPM. Allows to run lower engine rpm and still get PTO RPM when full power is not needed.

As with all newer vehicles time will tell. The only problem I have had is the PTO engagement gets sticky and hard if not used.

What are you going to do with it most often and what do you look for in a utility. Personally I was looking for sychronized speed and direction changes.

The 5M's coming out now will most likely be the choice in a few years.. New may be a little much now (pushing 70 grand with a cab and loader)...

My requirements are a loader of around a yard, forks, 4WD because I have pretty good hills, the physical size to load big dump trucks, power reverser (shuttle) with at least two hydraulic I/O's. Cab would be nice too.

Friend has an early 2000's 4 series with a loader and it does great, it's the 3cyl Yanmar, shuttle shift, ABCD ranges + 4 speed, (16sp F+R) but it's juuust a little small to load bigger dumps.

Time will tell I guess.. Thought about Kubota but they're Hydrostatic and I don't care for that. Most of them are 'Global' tractors nowadays anyway right? No matter what color you pick?

5100M 100 being 100hp.
gallery_10992_68_89114.jpg

Yeah, new tractors are nice but $$$ I bought mine used with 800 hrs. It was on consignment at dealer. I guess an arranged potential trade in thing and paid around $36K shipped to local dealer then me. New I had a similar quote of about $45-48K iirc. Mine has a FEL with 3rd function and 2 rear remotes quote did not have 3rd function or 2nd remote. It lifts pretty high and think it would load a dump truck. Seems I see several near $40K still up to about 5-6 yrs old with loaders . The prices of the 5603 seem to be holding and I expect the M's to hold value for a couple of years. The M's will have more GPM and faster hydraulics too forgot to mention that.

My neighbor bought a 5101E a couple of years ago and paid near $42K iirc w/o loader and has not mentioned any problems. He also has a 5603 no problems reported either. He mostly drags an arena and pasture work with it has about 134 acres and runs a barrel horse ranch and show arena. I just cut and do light clearing and FEL work with mine.

Attachments

• 5603lfft.jpg
    5603lfft.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 4
have you looked at a massey? I hate what agco has done pushing massey on the big stuff and killing other brands, but one thing massey allways did well was the under 100 hp market.

got a neighbor with a smaller new holland and it looks rather dinky in the rear end.

Kubota's are good units, I wouldnt fear them. their powered front axle is an engineering feat in simplicity. Our farm equipment dealer buddy in California has a rental fleet made up mostly of Kubotas, and they are highly immigrant laborer resistant. :) they mostly pull tubs for nut and fruit harvest, and various orchard tasks.

How much height do you need. I checked and mine at max lift and bucket down at 45 degrees I have 102" of clearance. But that depends on the FEL you get mine is the std economy one. Massey appear to be built bigger than my JD. I looked at a model a little lower in HP but near 75-85 HP can't remember and it was just a bigger tractor in general. A little rougher in casting appearance but was more a farm tractor. The JD's appear to be heading more compact smaller frame size for the utilities and more premium cabs and refinements depending on model. Kubota's aren't bad I don't think starting to see some of thier bigger stuff. But its like JD a smaller tractor size than the MF's I have seen. New Holland's have a couple of grades of tractors too. I like thier new workmaster series in the ~50 hp range. A good basic tractor with mechanical shuttle shift. Deeres have fewer reverse gears unless you get the power reverser.

I have not checked out Massey but I will.. There is a Hew Holland dealer in town, Kubota and JD also. A lot of guys around here are JD freaks, and with good reason probably, but I'm not such a 'tractor afficianado' like some.. It would be nice to have one made here though.

I would just get an older backhoe but I want a versatile PTO for later.

Height-wise the quad axle dump has high sides, 10+ anyhow.

I just discovered that the 'cab' option will cost ya almost 13,000 dollars on a 5M.. YYYYeahhh. :eek:

Did a search on JD's website, nothing in a 5 *R* tractor. I go on yoootoobe and see 'em but all the guys are speaking another language..literally. :dunno:

Back