• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New to site

Myrickwr

Reaction score
Hello all
New to the site. Have my dads 93 Chevy K2500. Not originally a chevy guy but it's my dad's old truck so I try to take great care of it and drive it often. It's my project work truck if you will. Runs good most of the time. Sometimes it doesnt want to start then out of the blue it cranks right up.
Current issue is after changing out the radiator and oil cooler lines the transmission wouldn't shift into 3-4 (D-OD). Found a leaking transmission cooler line and replaced it. Still has the same problem. Fluid is good and doesnt smell burned.
Think the A/B solenoid went out. 1-2 are good. ???

Thanks
Rob

Welcome. The transmission has a safety mode we call 2nd gear limp mode. It is to save the trans from eating itself. If you trigger certain codes (which dont trigger the service engine light) it will not shift out of second. Most people drive easy enough they dont notice that it isn’t even using first gear unless they are towing or racing and really need that first gear.

I suspect the low fluid triggered 2nd gear limp, so get a scanner on there to write down any before clearing them. Then give it a try. If still goofy, the scanner i think is the best way to check the solenoid.

There are others here WAYYYY better in trans than me. Hopefully they check in soon for ya.

Also, if you fill out your signature line with truck details like the rest of us do, it will help in this and future diagnostics and advice.

Back