• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

new mbrp- hell ya

jackh

Reaction score
finally got that baby on guys, i know yall have all been losing sleep over it too :)

i couldn't be more pleased with how it turned out. im a complete noob to doin this kind of work on my truck and so is my friend, although were both pretty mechanically inclined. we started around 3 and were driving by like 930. i know thats a long time... but, we took 2 breaks to come do some research, took 2 trips to lowes, and also ate dinner. not sure how to add up that time to tell you how long it took but it wasnt all that bad for someone who had no clue what they were doin :)

imo removing the stock system was the hard part. i actually had to cut it in 3 places to get it out and i even had my truck lifted up in the back (put a jack under the trailer hitch). i cut it a little ways before the muffler, then on either side of the cat so it would drop out :doh:.

sound- seems like it hisses a little more than i would like it to at idle, reminds me of the complaints of the lmm's with turbo back exhausts. you cant hear the hiss at all when driving though, has a nice deep, throaty tone to it and screams when you get on it. rumbles really nice on take off. maybe this hiss is due to the pipes being clean? ive heard that after a while the pipes get sooty and it sounds a little better.

like i said it was 9 ish when we finished so i dind't really get any pics. i plan on detailing my truck this weekend though so ill be sure and get pics for yall then. maybe even a sound clip :eyebrows:

fyi to anyone installing exhaust by themselves or even with a friend- having a tie down or small ratchet strap is very handy when removing the stock system. the stock is dam heavy in some parts and my friend couldnt keep it from fallin on our faces by himself. i used a tie down to support some of the weight and it saved me from having to buy a new pair of glasses :)

Glad you got it on there. I didn't put mine on myself for this reason. A lift is really needed..Makes things eaiser I suppose.

Mine came out in one piece though. Its in the garage for just incase purposes. Glad you got it on, Be sure to get some sound clips!

ya i was plannin on gettin the stock out in one peice and keeping it like you did, but after 3 cuts, its pretty much trashed. o well :)

nice!!! the exhaust sound is deff gonna change after time its gonna have more of a rumble and your not gonna have that screaming sound like it has now at WOT which i miss i think it sounded sick!!!

ive read that i can fix the slight hiss with efi live, but idk if im ready for something that intense just yet. seems like along with efi live you needa get a bunch of other stuff like tranny upgrades, gauges etc

wow thats crazy look at how much cleaner the truck is with a new exhaust even the tailgate looks cleaner:D it came out good, and dont worry about the hiss it will grow on you

ya i noticed that. its cuz the before pic was shot in the afternoon with the sun at my back while the after was shot in the morning with the sun shining at me. can see all the dirt on my tailgate :)

one that i noticed- sometimes when i start the truck ill have a deeper rumble than usual, a couple seconds later ill get a loud hissing that lasts half a second, then switches back to a rumble...whats goin on?

i was also stopped at a light and there was a slight breeze comin from behind me and little puffs of smoke were blowin by me from my tailpipe. it lasted a couple seconds and then i didn't see any more.

is something wrong with my exhaust/truck?

The hiss at idle is normal, its the VG turbo. It will never go away.

The exhaust note will change with time. im slowly loosing the flame thrower like sound at WOT in my exhaust now that its got aboout 3" of soot built up.

Still sounds nice.

Glad yours turned out nice. IMO it needs a tip or something, overtime it will have some surface rust or just an ugly look, but I guess since your in texas it will last longer because you dont have road salt.

Hmmm, the hissing is the turbo, and if its cutting in and out and blowing smoke, all signs lead to blown turbo, but I doubt that.

As long as the truck doesnt sit there and idle really rough, it should be ok. Give it some time maybe it will clear up.

But Ill let somebody else Chime in. I dont know much about LBZs

the change in sounds is normal everyone i know that has a 5" does it. people told me its the turbo vanes adjusting. my truck does it

it only cuts in and out when i first start it up and it only does it once, so i think its the vanes like duramaxxx said. as for the smoke, not sure about that. i punched it the other night and it seemed like the smoke was more white than usual. idk what that means either though

the hiss to rumble is the position test of the vanes in the turbo. thats normal for start up and occationally when comming to a stop after running. mine smokes occationally at idle as well. always did, just little puffs. seems to be a normal thing for an oil burner.

ok thanks guys. i drove to the grocery store the other night and when i parked i noticed it hiss the rumble again. this made me pretty worried but if it happens to yall to then i feel much better :)

ps, the new exhaust makes the truck 10k times more fun to drive

the hiss to rumble is the position test of the vanes in the turbo. thats normal for start up and occationally when comming to a stop after running. mine smokes occationally at idle as well. always did, just little puffs. seems to be a normal thing for an oil burner.

what he said.... vane position test. all stock vvt equipped trucks and some modded ones will do this. there are tuners/programmers out that can shut off the vane positioning at idle so the truck sounds like the older lb7 motors.

Right on Jack! That looks great. I had to do mines' by myself on my back...DPF fell on my chest almost knockin' da wind out of me. Those things aren't light. Well worth the pain and efforts...LOL

Back