• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New Hummer H1 owner in Las Vegas

VegasHummer

Reaction score
A fellow member on the Hummer Network site referred me over here to gain insight on my new 6.5 TD engine in my 2003 Hummer H1. I look forward to getting to know all of you and learning a lot from you. My background is almost all gas engine vehicles, except the other H1 I owned 20 years ago. My primary concern is reliability. I have had the truck for a few weeks and just had the stock starter fail on me. We replaced it with the Powermaster 9052 and all is well. BUT, that got me thinking about what other known weaknesses may exist and what should I replace in the interest of reliability. The truck will be driven several days a week and reliability is my primary concern. I am not looking for performance mods, just good old fashioned reliability.

IMG_0893.jpgIMG_0894.jpgIMG_0725.jpg

Hello VH, that unit is a beauty and welcome to the forum.
When You replaced the starter, was the engine to forward end of the starter brace attached ?
If not, do not even attempt to start that engine before getting on leroydiesel.com and getting one of those braces, he may also have the new starter bolts too, at the least, get that brace installed before the starter busts the starter bolts!

Glad to see ya here. These are the guys to ask about details on the ds4 for sure when that chaos starts, and it will.
As you learn the aftermarket modifications- like powermaster starter you did, add them to the signature where you listed the hummer. This will greatly help in diagnosing issues later.

Glad to see ya here. These are the guys to ask about details on the ds4 for sure when that chaos starts, and it will.
As you learn the aftermarket modifications- like powermaster starter you did, add them to the signature where you listed the hummer. This will greatly help in diagnosing issues later.

I just climbed under my truck to see the new starter that was installed and I am now unsure if the guy put the support bracket on the back (front of truck) starter. Would it be possible for me to run it over to you for a quick look and feedback? Plus it would be great to meet another Hummer owner here in town.

Wheres the Duramax in those two 6.5 suburbans?

I would do a Duramax conversion on a GMT-800 model 3/4 ton. THEFERMINATOR did a Duramax conversion on a GMT-400 Suburban and acknowledged here that it was too much torque for the frame. So the GMT-400 is not a good floor plan to work from on a Duramax conversion. That Hummer would be and the the value would be supported.

VegasHummer stopped over, cool guy. And is considering a dmax swap. Amazing condition hummer. Dmax requires body lift and is usually in the $60-70k range to have done in a hummer.

His mechanic installed the brace but not right. Hummer starters have the negative battery cable attached to its housing. He used the brace as an adapter to make the large battery cable connect to the starter housing. I can see how he thought that.
But He will take it to another mechanic and get it on there correctly now.

Then move the negative battery cable to the engine block. Most hummer owners mount it to the fuel pump block off plate, where pickups have the turbo drain.

I can’t believe none of you guys warned him. Poor guy got here and couldn’t escape my long conversation. Haha

If anyone has a good pic of the front brace on a powermaster starter - can you please post it?

Here is how they are supposed to be with a gm starter.
BC21202B-4730-423C-919E-C3E88A21BDB7.jpeg

Well the negative battery cable has a 3/8 eyelete where it normally goes on a stud.
The powermaster starter doesn’t have a huge stud. And fitting two 2/0 battery cables on the tiny powermaster starter doesn’t work well with the 10 gauge solenoid activation wire. So...he put the bracket on upside down and attached the negative battery cable to it.

If you have delt with the huge 100 lbs starter on hummers and hmmwvs- that is where the negative cable would go. So I don’t blame the mechanic who never worked on a 6.5 before. It looks like an adapter to get the cable to attach.
01A4CF1A-A63E-414A-BE75-E5242B5421CB.jpeg

VegasHummer stopped over, cool guy. And is considering a dmax swap. Amazing condition hummer. Dmax requires body lift and is usually in the $60-70k range to have done in a hummer.

His mechanic installed the brace but not right. Hummer starters have the negative battery cable attached to its housing. He used the brace as an adapter to make the large battery cable connect to the starter housing. I can see how he thought that.
But He will take it to another mechanic and get it on there correctly now.

Then move the negative battery cable to the engine block. Most hummer owners mount it to the fuel pump block off plate, where pickups have the turbo drain.

I can’t believe none of you guys warned him. Poor guy got here and couldn’t escape my long conversation. Haha

If anyone has a good pic of the front brace on a powermaster starter - can you please post it?

Here is how they are supposed to be with a gm starter.
View attachment 77234

DMAX conversion in the $60K to $70K range is ridiculous. There’s at least $30K to $40K profit in that quote.

DMAX conversion in the $60K to $70K range is ridiculous. There’s at least $30K to $40K profit in that quote.
Agreed. However there is a myriad of nightmare stories from people doing it for much less. O.P. Is not a diy guy for wrenching so simply hiring someone means paying for reputation of many successful conversions done.

I went and looked at 3 hummers that were bought for way little money as basket cases because of people hiring the wrong shop.

I know of 2 guys that when the hummers went into small shops that “specialize” in one at a time conversions- they were basically stripped and sold off parts. Then the owner ends up chasing a ghost of a closed company and has a frame and separate body for the cops to haul out on two separate tow trucks. Here is a fun fact- insurance doesn’t pay for a rip off mechanic shop. Luckily one guy got his put back together by buying a decom hmmwv.

Back