• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New 6.5TD owner

Scottyms

1997 C2500 6.5TD
Reaction score
Hello all, first time 6.5 owner, 1997 C2500 2nd. My dad bought it new and now it’s mine. its sat for the last 5 years as they had some drivability issues When towing, used to pull a 5th wheel horse trailer. Supposedly used to have a check engine light that would come on under load but then go away. I just got it home and have been catching up on maintenanc, waiting on a ffm and a pmd at the moment.

Welcome.
Best thing you can do is read all the stickies.
Buying parts from wrong places and parts not needed becomes a mess quickly.
Engine killers are heat 220 max, oil cooler line failure, not replacing harmonic balancer& belt drive every 100,000 miles.
Always have a spare known good pmd, preferably mounted and ready to go with both pmd on heat sink remote mounted out of the engine bay with spare plugged.

Low fuel pressure wears out ip (injection pump) much sooner and stanandyne quit making them so take care of what you have. My suggestion is metal T tapped at the ip for the sensor. Ds4 should have 8-14 psi. The factory units were designed for the older ip which runs lower pressure and gm pinched pennies not doing a proper one.

Take the time to fill out signature line with truck details and any modifications. Mine is a horrible example- but look how others list theirs and you’ll see how.

Being able to know the trucks history will come in mighty handy at times so that’s cool.
Hope you enjoy it.

Welcome.
Best thing you can do is read all the stickies.
Buying parts from wrong places and parts not needed becomes a mess quickly.
Engine killers are heat 220 max, oil cooler line failure, not replacing harmonic balancer& belt drive every 100,000 miles.
Always have a spare known good pmd, preferably mounted and ready to go with both pmd on heat sink remote mounted out of the engine bay with spare plugged.

Low fuel pressure wears out ip (injection pump) much sooner and stanandyne quit making them so take care of what you have. My suggestion is metal T tapped at the ip for the sensor. Ds4 should have 8-14 psi. The factory units were designed for the older ip which runs lower pressure and gm pinched pennies not doing a proper one.

Take the time to fill out signature line with truck details and any modifications. Mine is a horrible example- but look how others list theirs and you’ll see how.

Being able to know the trucks history will come in mighty handy at times so that’s cool.
Hope you enjoy it.

thanks, I’ve been reading stickys every evening… it’s had a pretty gingerly life, dad bought it new, his wife dailied it for about 4 years then bought a different car to daily for better gas milage. After that it was only used a few weekends through the summer to pull a horse trailer.

The last year she used it they had some drivability issues, I’m honestly not exactly sure what the problem was. My dad is 80 now and the memory isn’t so good but from what he remembered was that they would get a check engine light that would come and go when they were pulling a trailer but that it never seemed to loose power or stall. I remember him complaining that the local diesel shop had it 2-3 times and could figure out what was wrong. The only part I can tell they replaced was the vacuum pump. I do however have serious concerns about a diesel shop that worked on a 20yo truck at the time and didn’t replace the factory fuel filter. Or at least I’m 99% sure it the original as it was disgusting and had the stanadyne stamping on the bottom and GM tag on the top… anyway it leaks at the heater in the bottom so I’m waiting on a new assembly. It also looks to still have the original PMD on it so I’m just going to go ahead and get that out of the way. I’ve ordered most everything from Leroy so as to keep the money with the people who help out here, paying for my education so to say…854C5357-5369-434D-B8F7-B13967A0C6CE.jpegB3A7954F-AE01-4257-8E89-E26FF963F863.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks, I’ve been reading stickys every evening… it’s had a pretty gingerly life, dad bought it new, his wife dailied it for about 4 years then bought a different car to daily for better gas milage. After that it was only used a few weekends through the summer to pull a horse trailer.

The last year she used it they had some drivability issues, I’m honestly not exactly sure what the problem was. My dad is 80 now and the memory isn’t so good but from what he remembered was that they would get a check engine light that would come and go when they were pulling a trailer but that it never seemed to loose power or stall. I remember him complaining that the local diesel shop had it 2-3 times and could figure out what was wrong. The only part I can tell they replaced was the vacuum pump. I do however have serious concerns about a diesel shop that worked on a 20yo truck at the time and didn’t replace the factory fuel filter. Or at least I’m 99% sure it the original as it was disgusting and had the stanadyne stamping on the bottom and GM tag on the top… anyway it leaks at the heater in the bottom so I’m waiting on a new assembly. It also looks to still have the original PMD on it so I’m just going to go ahead and get that out of the way. I’ve ordered most everything from Leroy so as to keep the money with the people who help out here, paying for my education so to say…View attachment 73727View attachment 73728
That thing looks to be mint! I miss my old '92 6.5
You've come to the right place for all things 6.5!
Welcome aboard!

Back