• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New 2020 Truck thoughts? Anyone have a review or info? What are real must haves?

schiker

Reaction score
Considering a new truck. 2020 Chevy ( could go GMC ) 3500 Crw cab LB SRW Dmax

My must-haves are pretty basic: Tilt wheel, dual zone AC, and comfortable seat (think I prefer the upgraded 40/20/40 with heat and headrest).
Mechanically: heavy duty frt springs, factory gooseneck wiring, bedliner.

Either will go LT with Allstar Edition (which I think is Convenience + safety Pkg) or LTZ.

I don't see much advantage to go LTZ except chrome looks & mechanically its power extending mirrors. The better LT mirrors can heat, pwr adj and fold but are a manual extension. Not that much of biggie I don't think except only 2 positions in and out manually and might could go a little out with pwr extension. I don't like them fully extended when not needed.

It doesn't ice here much so hill descent I don't think is going to get much use. Z71 seems overpriced for rancho shocks and badge.

Is there anything major I am missing. It'll be a major generational jump in truck for me. What have you regretted not getting on a new truck?

Last edited:
My current truck is cloth seats and vinyl flooring. The wife says I should go leather but I am not so sure. Seems there is a conflict with Leather and vinyl flooring when I build and price one.

With newer floor mat options is carpet vs vinyl moot?

I will probably keep this truck a looonnng time I usually do; so seat covers over cloth seems like a better plan.

You'll be glad to have leather. As for mats, get carpet and buy a set of Weathertech mats. Unless you are frequently towing and/or hauling heavy, a better option might be the new 6.6 gas motor. I think if I was to replace my LBZ, I'd seriously consider a gas 2500HD

My father has the new 2020 WT Duramax, it's a nice engine combo.. it's got a ton of power.. the emissions though really make you think gas vs diesel.. if you tow a lot, the diesel makes a ton of sense because of the power.

For a WT, it's still pretty dang comfortable inside as well.

Have I mentioned how much I hate car dealers and the game.

WT has tilt wheel but LT doesn't unless you add convenience pkg that is pure gotcha to spend more money.
Leather requires convenience pkg II

A WT actually nowadays satisfies me. Dual-zone AC would be nice but never had it in a truck before.

I have heard the 2020 std 40/20/40 seat isn't comfortable on longer drives. A while back I saw a new custom truck in a parking lot at lowes and asked about it he said he disliked the seat a lot on longer drives. He was taller than me though. I then googled some reviews and think motor trend said the std seat was a disappointment.

A buddy says bucket seats are the way to go but the upgraded 40/20/40 w/ headrest and 10-way adjustment I have to think are very comparable to bucket seats. I like the option to have 6 seats. Occasionally it would save taking 2 vehicles.

Thanks you are right. I actually suggested that to a friend once trying to decide on a tractor - rent one and work it.

Yeah, I have already lost a lot of sleep on diesel vs gas.

That would be one hard decision for me if I was going to by a new 2500HD. Really and truly even though I love the pulling power of my LBZ Duramax, I think I would go with the 6.6 gas engine or larger gas engine if one was available. No more towing than I do now days I don't think I could justify another diesel. If I was towing heavy using the truck for work every week it would be a no brainer, the diesel would win hands down.

About a week ago I towed my hunting camper along with a bunch of stuff in the truck home. There was some pretty good winds along the way, I was only able to average about 11.7 mpg at 65 to 70mph. I wonder what kind of mileage the new 6.6 gas motor is getting.

I surfed Hertz and Enterprise and the 2020 gm trucks don't appear in their fleets "online" yet. I might try and call around and see if they say anything in person.

What do you think are the better car pricing services?

I like Kelly Blue Book probably the best. I don't like truecar or cars direct; they don't have the build options and just give basic trim numbers which could vary significantly with options. Edmunds I don't remember giving RPO codes like KBB. NADA being a dealer's association feel its the fox guarding the henhouse and leary its inflated.

We have two 2020 chevrolet 2500 crew cab 4x4 work trucks at my job. One is the new gasser and the other is a duramax. The duramax drove nice. I put about 100 miles on it. Even pulled a trailer with a skid steer on it. It pulled it like I would expect it too. For a work truck it had a lot of nice features that surprised me. I have not driven the gas model. If you got any specifics let me know.

In the past when myself or a family member were buying a new vehicle I checked KBB, Edmunds and NADA to get some idea about the prices. I am thinking there are other buying services out there, maybe like Sam's wholesale Club or others, I have not used any of those.

Back