• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Need Advice

Wreckinball67

Reaction score
Hello 6.5ers,
I need advice on what to do with a 6.5 with a crack in the #8 cylinder. I've already replaced the motor with a brand new GEP. So now I have a long block that's taking up space. It only has 93k on it and it ran perfectly. Coolant was disappearing and I thought I had a bad connection at the bottom radiator hose. Not so, I didn't drive the truck for 2 weeks and when I went to start it, it hydro locked on me. Well after some investigation I found that it blew coolant from the glow plug hole. Pulled the head hoping for a blown head gasket when I saw the hairline crack in the upper cylinder wall.
So, I don't know whether to part it out or try to sell the complete long block. Between the two options I need to recoup as much money as possible, new GEP motors don't come cheap. Look forward to hearing opinions from y'all. BTW, it's a 1998 "S" VIN.

Welcome to the truck stop. Glad you were able to do the swap.. As for the old block, #8 has always been the 6.5's weak point. I myself have not had one crack on me (that I know of). So I haven't had to deal with that issue but stay on here cause the guys will start answering you with good advice. I know for sure that Will and Warwagon , and a few others that are on here daily have ALOT of experience with your issue and can give you the answers you need... So check back in today... You found the right place for help with a 6.5...and again Welcome..
BTW if you haven't already, fill out your signature about your truck, it helps guys know some things up front so your not getting asked the same question about it alot..

Sorry for some reason I thought you were new here.. maybe I need more sleep.lol

The engine can be saved by resleeving, rebuild and sell but how much you can sell it for and the cost of doing it is a gamble.

other than that, rip it all apart and sell components. No clue what hat you would get for the parts. Things like the heads if you clean them up really good and show pics that there is no cracks inbetween the valves and precups aren’t cracked, and depending what precups they are changes value a lot.
A bunch of the stuff you wont be able to give away like timing chain set and oil pump.

Back