• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My first truck

Chrismann73

Reaction score
Hi everybody, my name is Chris and I have finally bought my first pickup. It is a 1994 GMC C1500 Sierra SLE 5.7L extended cab, and I love it. I am the third owner of this truck, I recently bought it off of a friend of mine for $1700. What a steal!
I am here to gain some knowledge from any and all members of this forum, and I hope that I may be of some use to you all as well.

Welcome.
There are 2 common failures with that truck to look at.

Heater hose connections on the engine from factory are a quick connect style. They suck horribly. By regular npt nipples, heater hose, and hose clamps. When you remove them if done soon enough they will unscrew. Otherwise (most commonly) you have to take them out in pieces. Waiting till they fail can destroy the engine. There is a couple threads on it here in the 6.5 section, they used same stupid fittings.

The in-tank fuel pumps aren’t the greatest, and the fuel filters plug quickly. As they plug up the resistance ruins the fuel pump. The filters are cheap and easy to change, do one now and on every other oil change. Often you can buy. A case (12)of filters at the cost of 6, but dont do that till your sure you will keep the truck long enough for the investment to pay off.

Welcome.
There are 2 common failures with that truck to look at.

Heater hose connections on the engine from factory are a quick connect style. They suck horribly. By regular npt nipples, heater hose, and hose clamps. When you remove them if done soon enough they will unscrew. Otherwise (most commonly) you have to take them out in pieces. Waiting till they fail can destroy the engine. There is a couple threads on it here in the 6.5 section, they used same stupid fittings.

The in-tank fuel pumps aren’t the greatest, and the fuel filters plug quickly. As they plug up the resistance ruins the fuel pump. The filters are cheap and easy to change, do one now and on every other oil change. Often you can buy. A case (12)of filters at the cost of 6, but dont do that till your sure you will keep the truck long enough for the investment to pay off.
Thank you for that bit of info, and I do intend to hold on to this truck for many years to come

Back