• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Mike's 1990 K2500, "The Black Pearl"

Road_Case

Reaction score
Hey guys. Figured I would start a build thread for my truck.

The current plan for Pearl is to travel with her. My wife and I just got married two weeks ago, and the goal is to travel for about a month or so next summer, with a slide-in truck camper in the bed.

Pearl is a 1990 GMC K2500 C6P (8600 GVWR, 8-lug), extended cab, long bed truck. She's got a stock drivetrain, 5.7 tbi, mated to the th400 that I just rebuilt in July 2019. NP241c transfer case, with a 14-bolt semi float rear axle, with 3.73:1 gears.

I have plans that include putting the rear axle on airbags, swapping to a 4l80e, frame rot repair, interior work, wiring management, etc.

Thanks for reading!

- Mike Taylor

eM8KQuj.jpg

BtnoMEX.jpg

K4V5DGg.jpg

WoTUkSP.jpg

mlD5jMz.jpg

Jfs0jHm.jpg

PsQNYOW.jpg

Last edited:
First update;

Today I scored a 2005 4l80e out of a 2500hd, for $400. Sale included the transfer case and front and rear driveshafts. Think I made out really well.

Apparently the components have 125k miles. I will be rebuilding the trans and probably selling the Tcase. Unless I find some reason to adapt the 2005 transfer case to my truck.

I intend to rebuild this 4l80 and use the USshift Quick2 or Quick4 to control it behind my 5.7 tbi.

ADcjx8A.jpg

Yeah, what Will said.
I would like to get one a them slide in popup campers for My k3500, then just leave it on the truck. Not as much wind resistance and then can drag the boat along too. LOL
Sounds like some nice plans You have for Your truck.

That's a tough looking truck and congrats on the marriage. That 4L80 will be a nice upgrade. I have to say though...I'm a little disappointed in seeing that you named the truck "The Black Pearl"......I picked up a 1994 K3500 a couple months ago and that was the name I have been using for it. I guess I'm going back to the drawing board.... 😅

Back