• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

LP issues 02 5.9 cummings

bison

Reaction score
LP runs 15-20 sec with key on and the starter is bumped but it won't run with the engine running(Have in cab fuel pressure gage)
What gives?:???:

are these LP's alternatly powered by a OPS like on a GM 6.5 and if they are where is the OPS located on these cummings?

If no OPS, then what powersource keeps the LP running with engine on?

Thanks

Not sure about a CUMMIN"g"S, but on a CUMMINS it is powered via the ECM. Does this one still have the block mounted pump or is it in tank? I believe there is a fuel pump relay in the underhood fuse panel for it, but it has been 12 years since I worked on one so I'm not certain where the relay is at anymore. lift pumps are NOTORIOUS for failures on these when block mounted as the vibrations kill them.

LP runs for 15-20 sec everytime i bump the starter as it is supposed to do(that is how you bleed the system), pressure is 12 PSI and is there instantly.
I don't think it is the LP at fault. i replaced the IP and LP 1 1/2 yr ago and the truck hasn't run that much since.
Yes the LP is block mounted and no i didn't verify power but without start the power is supposed to switch off after 15-20 seconds.
This truck has an accessory hydr pump that drives the hay deck and the hoses run on the dr side and they make access to the LP rather difficult from above and it is impossible to even see let alone reach the LP and harnass from underneath.

I'll check the relay tomorow.

Damm dodges :rolleyes5:,....give me a 6.5 anytime.;)

I have not much luck gettin this thing fixed.
I found 1 code,..PO216,..injection timing control.???

LP relay seems OK,..i tried 3 diff ones with same neg result
LP runs with bumping the starter without the LP relay in place so that power source must be seperate from power to the relay.
There is continueing power on 1(closests to the dr side fender) of the four relay pin sockets and power with key on on a sec pin(kiddy corner of the first pin towards the firewall).

Where do i find the ECM on this vehicle?,..or is it that black hicky micky that is bolted to the block between the IP and LP??

Update.
I Spliced the LP straight to batt power, i start the engine and guess what,...the pressure disapeared just the same.
I figgured maybe the LP does not put out enough flow to keep the engine happy so i bolted on a brandnew LP.
It gives 14 psi pressure and plenty flow (engine off)
I start the engine and the pressure is gone just the same.

Now i start wondering if the IP pressure regulator is shot and all the fuel is going straight back to the tank.

Does any of you know where the pressure regulator is located on/in the IP and/or servicable and accessable from the engine bay??

The regulator is part of the banjo bolt on the return line of the injection pump. Sounds to me like you have a restriction before the lift pump. Hook up a feed and return straight to the engine into a can and run it, I bet you will have pressure. The pickup screen in the tank is known to plug up and cause pressure loss. If it doesn't then the internals of the pump have gone and it is bypassing to much fuel internally.

The regulator is part of the banjo bolt on the return line of the injection pump. Sounds to me like you have a restriction before the lift pump. Hook up a feed and return straight to the engine into a can and run it, I bet you will have pressure. The pickup screen in the tank is known to plug up and cause pressure loss. If it doesn't then the internals of the pump have gone and it is bypassing to much fuel internally.

LP is brandnew,...I have 14 psi pressure with engine off!,.. 1 psi more than the old one
Gauge hookup is gotten at where the schrader valve used to be at the IP.

I found the relief valve in said banjo bolt,..it looks good, so maybe it is still a supply issue altough it is hard to believe by the stream of fuel coming out of the filter bleed hose, it'll fill up a big coffee can in no time flat

I'll blow back the fuel supply line back to the tank tomorow with the compressor.

Take the return line off at the injection pump and start it up and see if it is blasting fuel out or not. If it does then the pump is gone. It should run just a small flow at low engine loads, and virtually none at high engine loads.

Take the return line off at the injection pump and start it up and see if it is blasting fuel out or not. If it does then the pump is gone. It should run just a small flow at low engine loads, and virtually none at high engine loads.
There was no fuel at the return port at all.

I got it fixed though.

If tupid me had checked the filter right of the bat it would've took all of 5 min to send the guy on its way.:pat:
, it was plugged solid but had enough flow to give me a good reading on the gauge at the IP and of course i hadn't tought of the fact that the filter bleed port is pre element.
But the owner had told me when he came in with the truck that the fuel filter and airfilter was replaced at the last oil change about a month ago at a lube shop so i ASSUMED it was fine.The lube shop never bothered with that filter.
Upon checking i found the airfilter had not been changed either, it was about in the same condition as the fuel filter:rolleyes5:
(i wonder if they ever did his oil change):skep:

I know it is a poor exuse but....:WTF:

Back