• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

FellowTraveler

Reaction score
I was wondering if there is an information on how law a stall converter can you go before the vehicles brakes are overwhelmed?

Theres many factors that play into this, not just stall speed. A GOOD converter shop can build a converter with better torque multiplication which in my experience allows for a lower stall, but won't push through the brakes. Good builders can set them up loose at idle, but make them rapidly come in. I know my current converter in mine is surprisingly loose at idle, but around 1200 rpm's it really starts coming in hard, but come 1800 it will stall no more(I can power brake it to 1800 at around 4lbs of boost, pressing on it harder won't increase the rpm's, only push the boost to 15-18 lbs of boost in a hurry, then stuff goes bang when I try to launch it there). The stock converter actually pushed harder at idle, but it maintained about the same amount of coupling up to around 1800, and bone stock it would stall up to around 2200-2350(but never really locked in solid until lockup whereas my current converter locks in solid above the stall point). I've heard of guys going as low as 1000-1200 for stall speed on off road crawlers where they need it to pull at idle. Then your problem becomes keeping it cool as cooler flow is greatly reduced at idle.

Theres many factors that play into this, not just stall speed. A GOOD converter shop can build a converter with better torque multiplication which in my experience allows for a lower stall, but won't push through the brakes. Good builders can set them up loose at idle, but make them rapidly come in. I know my current converter in mine is surprisingly loose at idle, but around 1200 rpm's it really starts coming in hard, but come 1800 it will stall no more(I can power brake it to 1800 at around 4lbs of boost, pressing on it harder won't increase the rpm's, only push the boost to 15-18 lbs of boost in a hurry, then stuff goes bang when I try to launch it there). The stock converter actually pushed harder at idle, but it maintained about the same amount of coupling up to around 1800, and bone stock it would stall up to around 2200-2350(but never really locked in solid until lockup whereas my current converter locks in solid above the stall point). I've heard of guys going as low as 1000-1200 for stall speed on off road crawlers where they need it to pull at idle. Then your problem becomes keeping it cool as cooler flow is greatly reduced at idle.
As always FERM thanks..

Back