• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Lovely, truck came home on a rollback again....

great white

Reaction score
Making my way up the highway with the missus for an appointment to see a man about installing aheat pump in our new house.

Truck starts bucking and kicking like when a PMD dies. Great I think to myself, my Heath PMD has packed it in after 5 odd years.

We cost to the side and I slide under the front bumper to swap in my spare PMD. No joy, same issues.

I look down and the fuel pressure gauge is showing -1 psi. Crap. Lift pump. and it's a new raptor 100 (well, about 6-8 months old). Hoping against hope, I pull the filter bowl and have the wife turn the key on. I here the raptor run and only a small spurt of fuel and then nothing.

Having learned long ago that if you drive one of these pieces of cr.....err...one of these trucks you need autoclub coverage (I've got CAA platinum) I called up and the rollback is there in 20 mins.

The truck is now sitting in the garage, waiting for me to come out and troubleshoot it further.

I am sooooo tired of this hunk of cr.....errrr.....metal.......

If I'm lucky, something has happened to the internal pressure regulator and it's just a quick adjustment.

I doubt I could be that lucky....

Well now, very curious indeed.

I twiddled with the pressure regulator and nothing.

On a larf, I cranked it in several turns and hit the key. I could here the pump load up and the pressure shot up to 29 psi. I cranked it back down again and the pressure dropped off to 3 psi.

A bit more twiddling and the truck now runs (after a big air purge) and the pressure is hovering around 8-10 psi.

I don't trust it yet to be sure, but it sure seems I'm hot on the trail of the issue.

It was only -15C and the truck has been in much colder temperatures without fuel issues. But I suppose it may be possible my last fill wasn't exactly a proper winter diesel blend from the supplier. It was -20C this morning, I would think that I would have problems then if I was going to have problems in -15c. Still, better dump a dose of PS winter in the tank on spec I'm thinking....I didn't put any in when I last filled. Fuel level isn't the issue, it's only got 295 Kms on a full tank fill. That puts it somewhere between 3/4 and full.

Last edited:
I was thinking air in the system before LP. But it could have cavitated to if the fuel got thick?
cavitation for sure.

My IP sucked the filter bowl dry, the raptor wasn't pushing fuel. I figure it went into full bypass due to a cold shock event or something.

Looks like a heater system might be in order if it goes down again for the same reasons.

Running fine right now although the pressure is a little wonky for the regulator setting. Still scratching my head a bit on that one.

Fingers still crossed that its a simple fix.

Well, tore the raptor pressure regulator apart.

The adjuster came out, the springs and spacers came out and then nothing.

No viton ball, no fuel pouring out. That's not right, the pump should be draining fuel at least out of the gerotor and lines with the reg out.

So a little exploration with a blunt scribe dislodges the viton check ball from it's bore and fuel starts to pour out.

Aha! the check ball had somehow stuck to it's seat.

A quick inspection reveals not ridges or grooving on the the check ball so back in it goes. Then the spring stack and spacers followed by the adjuster mechanism with new o rings.

Turn the key on and the pump springs to life. Primes immediately and pressure scorches up to 39 psi. Off goes that key lickety split!

Screw the reg out a turn or two and key on. 8 psi. Another quick adjustment and back up to my usual 12 psi.

I let the truck run for a while. Smooth and stable as it was before quitting. I let it run for another 20 minutes as I shuffle it out of the garage and jockey the cars around in the driveway. Never misses a beat. Pressure never moves. Rock steady 12 psi.

So, gonna cal it fixed and it was some kind of weird jam up of the viton check ball. I'll drive it short distances and close to home over the next few day, juuuuust to be safe.

:)

(plus, I don't trust it at all right now)

Back