• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Love trucks, lots to learn, happy to be here

Towing hard.. HAR HAR HAR. I am going to leave the ugly mess I made of a few 6.5 engines towing here. And the cooling system (stack) is worse.

What @btfarm is saying is you pull the 42' monster RV with the Duramax and tow doubles with the Humvee behind that. 👍

Love hmmwvs and hummers as the pic to the left shows....
Passionate to help, so don’t be afraid of any questions.

The good thing is, if you build it yourself, you can use it, not like it, and sell it for a profit. Values are only going up. Getting a stock hmmwv upgraded adds a lot of value.
ENSURE your state allows hmmwv to be registered, some do not. Some guy live in Nv and register their hmmwvs in other states where they have vacation property for example.

You need to decide what speed you tow at and what changes you are willing to make.
if you think over 55 then you are done with engine choices- duramax only.

How you use it when not towing- if NOT doing some descent off roading with it on those trips- absolutely a mistake.

The hmmwv has some issues to deal with, some are pricey. It takes more maintenance than a pickup by design. You will not have many options for engine/transmission in it.
6.2/6.5 turbo or supercharged diesel
6 cyl Cummins turbo diesel
4l80e auto trans or upgraded version of it.

Duramax turbo diesel with
Allison transmission
Again- this is most likely your better answer. And with the gearing of the hmmwv- it will out tow any of the pickups with the same

Keep factory rear springs. Front springs need to be winch or snow plow springs. Upgraded (pricey) cepek adjustable shocks. ModMafia blue hummer spindle lock nuts.

ALL hmmwvs, hummers have overheating issues, so depending on the engine you use determines the cooling fix you use. Not to be taken lightly.

Best honest suggestion on it is duramax conversion with allison trans.

People know hmmwvs are wide, outside tire width 84”- front & back. But many dont know they are wider than a dually 77”-95” depending on year and truck but most are 84- same width. So the width for stability in towing is as good, in fact better than many duallys. Wheel base (center of front to center of rear axle) is 130”. A regular cab dually is 133”. 4door long bed is 167”. Bed depth is a monster difference. Not counting the huge wheel wells- inside wheel wells is 48” wide, 36 deep if left as 4 door unit. Take that into account based on the front of your 5er. You can mount the hitch to the rear ofthe bed rather than center- the weight rating is 1.25 tons legitimately. But that only buys a hair over a foot. Obviously a custom hitch will be needed to be built, but the frame is so much more ridiculously stronger- so no worries there. I seen a couple guys that actually built frame extension in place of the rear bumper and hook up behind the bed- again figuring the leverage- still strong as a 1 ton pickup.

Hmmwvs tow trailers off road using a swiveling pintle and tongue pull trailers.
Off roading with a hang over fifth wheel- you will have to chop the wheel wells down and limit suspension travel if you want to handle any rougher situations than you would with a normal pickup towing it. Suspension and clearance would still far surpass pickups. I’ve seen this done once- really don’t suggest it.

The ride.
If you haven’t riden in a hmmwv/ hummer- do so. The stock hummers weigh 6,000 lbs and have suspension to haul twice that of a 3/4 ton which weighs more. So it rides rougher when empty. My hummer has the light weight front springs, and rides better than any pickup, suburban, tahoe, etc than I have ever been in. It rides and handles better than late 80’s early 90’s Mercedes cars do. Rides better than most modern cars. Getting the springs to match the weight of how you use it makes a huge difference- but the four wheel independent suspension and nearly perfect balanced weight to all four corners makes it handle amazingly well.

The noise is completely a different story. Hummer is loud, hmmwv is nuts. Unless you prefer to drive without your hearing aids- you will need to spend bucks getting it to quite down. Hmmwv seats are a horrible joke at best. The seating area is is tight so seat choices are limited. I have back issues like 50% of folks- and love my factory hummer seats. Some folks get offroad racing seats- not bad; others found a couple types of minivan seats that fit- not impressive.

Tons more I can go into- but you need to give more input for it.

Back