• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Lost High-Beams

cornemuse

Reaction score
'84 Blazer Diesel (<-shouldnt matter!) Lo-beams ok, toggle blinker/hi-low beams, NO lights! Both hi's out.

I cant believe both burned out at once.
Do the hi's have a seperate fuse?
I'm thinking the switch.
I'm too old to try looking at the fuse panel (75 years old yesterday, 23rd)
How hard replacing that switch in the column?
I've never had to tear into the column before, so, , , ,

Thoughts?

-corne-

Happy late birthday @cornemuse. I'd think the dimmer switch. I can't remember it the 84 model has it in the column or on the floor, but if in the column, the switch might just be out of adjustment. it's located right there with the ignition switch with a rod pushing on it. it's a PIA to get at it without dropping the column. I love the old foot dimmer switches, half these young wiper snappers don't know what that was!

@MrMarty51 I'm only 42 so I might not fit in for that club, but I was raised by my grandparents and hung out with a lot of older folks. I guess that's why I see myself as "old fashioned) lol

Happy late birthday @cornemuse. I'd think the dimmer switch. I can't remember it the 84 model has it in the column or on the floor, but if in the column, the switch might just be out of adjustment. it's located right there with the ignition switch with a rod pushing on it. it's a PIA to get at it without dropping the column. I love the old foot dimmer switches, half these young wiper snappers don't know what that was!

@MrMarty51 I'm only 42 so I might not fit in for that club, but I was raised by my grandparents and hung out with a lot of older folks. I guess that's why I see myself as "old fashioned) lol
I remember foot pedal bendix/Sol. operation for the starter, as well as a foot operated washer fluid pump. Made for a good Whiskey dispenser, so I am told. Really, never did it myself.

yeah those were way before my time too! the youngest truck I ever owned was a 67 chevy step side with a 4 speed granny. no power steering or ac. the guy who had it thought it was cool to but those big wide 15" tires on it. big mistake with no power steering lol. that was the first thing that went back to stock size!

I remember my grandpa had one of them... I remember right didn't It still have the push button on the floor for the Hi-Lo... Seems like I remember him having to take one out and clean around it because of the rust wasn't getting a ground or something of that nature.
Side note... Y'all want to have some fun put a millennial or gen z into a vehicle with one of those floor push buttons and ask them what it does.... Almost as funny as watching them try to figure out a rotary phone

Back