• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Looking for turbo and exhaust for my 6.2l XJ

DIESELXJ

Reaction score
After the last few months of converting my XJ over to a 6.2 diesel and looking the results, I have decided to move forward with the turbo upgrade. I just love the whine of a well placed turbo and would like to give this solid Humvee takeout engine to a higher level before winter sets in. If anyone has spare parts for sale or knows the best yards to pick I have open ears and a mind for sarcasm as well for any comments.

I moved my 6.5 n/a to a gm6 center mount. You'll need the manifolds, crossover tube, turbo, turbo master, obvious rework of exhaust turbo out. I suggest 4" exhaust kit from Leroy to have the parts to modify. Injectors are too low pop pressure, so have them rebuilt and set at 2300 psi pop pressure (balanced within 25 psi is very helpful) or new injectors. Please post what you find on injectors before you buy, a bunch of unhappy people here can save you heart ache and $. Turn up the fuel screw 1/2 turn in your db2. Put in an EGT gauge!

What are you running for a lift pump and fuel filter system? if you were going to stay in the 6.2/ 6.5 family I 'd say get a pop tester for the injectors and do them yourself, but I know long term you want a dmax, so don't bother with that cost.

I have a friend with marine injectors which I have heard are the 2300 psi injectors. I am hoping to trade my old jeep auto and transfer to get the turbo and exhaust but, if not I am willing to pay a higher price then the local pic a part scrap yard is charging, they are $68. I think a decent known good turbo will save me the rebuild kit and 2 bills to make it happen. I am also up for a Banks unit if the price is right? Right now I have like I said a 6.2 block and reworked heads. ARE head studs and mains. Lowered the compression for better starting and power as recommended by our local shop. He told me it would allow for about 20 lb of boost if I turbo later and would actually increase startability, and fuel economy. So far I am getting around 24 mpg in town and 28-30 on my last trip to Missouri. I am really pleased with the set up as the 3:73 gears are nice and the diesel swap has been well worth the $4 fuel price.
I want to think everyone for adding more things I am not remembering, I would like to set up a A/C unit again as the military engine I picked up had squat for accessory brackets. I'm not sure if I want to strip down and go with civilian engine set up or keep the CUCV brackets I have aquired. It would be real nice to have a/c in the summer and have working defroster... winter is on the way.

BTW everyone here has been great and I appreciate all the help. I am used to Mercedes Diesels but my recent GM diesel has brought new light to my personal mechanical experience. I have lots of gas mechanic work in the past and have recently caught the diesel bug and love it.

Back