• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Looking for Advice

ChevyKhaos

Reaction score
I picked up a 1994 Suburban 2500 with a 1985 350 (wallowed out center bolts on manifold to fit 94 throttle body) and the original 4l80e.
I figured I'd got a deal. Trading my beat to death twice wrecked 99 camry with electrical issues for it straight up.
Drove it to get new tires no problem.
Drove it to work. No problem.
Did a tune up( cap, rotor, wires and plugs,) and my cleaned the throttle body with carb cleaner. Now there's a problem.
At stop lights and signs engine stalls. Almost everytime, same with shifting out of or into reverse. But no problem at idle in park.
Shifts hard like it's trying to give me whiplash.
Sometimes it doesn't stall at stop sign but then it has no power or acceleration sure what to do to fix problem can't afford to just start replacing random things till it runs right. Anyone deal with similar issue before?

Sounds like the conv is locking . Just like driving a stick and forgetting to push the clutch in at a stop light . Have you checked the brake light switch for adjustment ?

I wasn't aware brake light switch was supposed to be adjusted so he might not either...how is it done?

So it's a 1994 with some random year engine made to work. Something like I may have done...

Factory paper air filter? How many miles on the odo?

Pull codes. Use a paperclip to do so.
What does the trans oil look and smell like? Burnt?

Check grounds.
Load test battery.
And recheck you or the PO didn't screw up the firing order via spark plug wires on the distributor cap.
The things you touched around what you worked on...

What did the old cap and rotor look like? Any oil?

The idle air control motor may need to be cleaned. What RPM exactly is it idling at?
The TPS could have taken a bath in the cleaner as well.
Then you may need to pull the entire TB and clean it as the PCV can plug up.

Nice trade up. Figure used vehicles take around $2000 to get going.

Back