• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

LMM Exhaust

HoytBows

Reaction score
Guys I'm looking for a full exhaust for my LMM. I am going to tune with EFI and ditch the entire DPF. I believe an LBZ kit will fit with a little hanger modifcation.

I have long hated the bottleneck at the end of the stock down pipe which has always put me in the, cost vs efficiency, debate and if its worth it. I am not building a race truck, but I do pull heavy loads in the mountains.

If there are any vendors that can help me get where I need to be PM me. I've looked at Diamondeye and MBRP for the most part and I'm still on the fence between 4" and 5". I dont want it to be loud in the cab, I'm getting too old for that, but from what I read the LMM isnt that loud anyway.

Feel free to share opinions and experiences. Thanks guys. Oh, and I also put this in the Vendors section...

Diamond eye 4". Sounds very throaty without any drone in the cab. Nephew has a 5" MBRP and hates the sound inside.
Got the DE from Leroy. Link in my sig if you want to check him out and he supports the site too.

Side note... Good to see you back around Chad. Been a while. New truck too. :thumbsup:

The 06 diamond eye kit with quiet tone front pipe is my recommendation. You will have to move one hanger in front of the muffler to a different position, and you have to tweak the rearmost exhaust hanger bracket some to get the tailpipe out of the way of the spring. I've done 2 so far, and it wasn't that bad to do.

The 06 diamond eye kit with quiet tone front pipe is my recommendation.

X2 on the quiet tone. Expect to gain 10% or more MPG towing. Paid for mine in 45 days towing from fuel savings.

You may want to check Denver emission test laws as they were pretty snotty 15 years ago with regards to SUV's including pickups. IE you may need to reinstall some things once a year.

Thanks guys. Yeah I've been off the radar for awhile, with the new truck I wanted to wait until the warranty was expired and I'm at 95k now so its time to start getting things in order. You guys are right, I think the 4" DE is the way to go. I was looking on DE's website and I cant tell if they even make a new down pipe for 01-07... but the product description says "DIESEL 2500/3500 (ALL CAB AND BED LENGTHS) - 4" ALUMINIZED - PERFORMANCE DIESEL EXHAUST KIT - "QUIET TONE" DOWN PIPE BACK (OFF-ROAD) SINGLE - FEATURES 4" "QUIET TONE" DOWN PIPE WITH INTEGRATED RESONATOR" which sounds to me like there is a down pipe. I don't think I'm that concerned about the down pipe itself, its probably more expensive than what its worth (assuming its not there). Anyway I'll PM Leroy and see if he can help. I cant wait to pull the DPF out of there. AND on the emissions note you're very right, Emissions here are out of control, but it turns out if you managed to find a way to keep your truck registered in Michigan and get away with it, nobody bothers you :thumbsup:

I'd be thinking stainless with the karo syrup crap they put on your roads in the winter. Can't get the quiet downpipe in SS though but I'm telling you you won't need that with your truck.

The downpipe from the turbo down isn't needed, and most are not that happy with the aftermarket downpipes. I would opt for the quiet tone front pipe for an LMM. I've noticed the LMM seems to suffer with more drone than the LBZ does. If you drop the boost back to help with mileage the LMM drones pretty noticeably whereas the LBZ just seems to be a little deeper toned.

The downpipe from the turbo down isn't needed, and most are not that happy with the aftermarket downpipes. I would opt for the quiet tone front pipe for an LMM. I've noticed the LMM seems to suffer with more drone than the LBZ does. If you drop the boost back to help with mileage the LMM drones pretty noticeably whereas the LBZ just seems to be a little deeper toned.
I defer to you then Ferm. I haven't encountered a closeup of an LMM with aftermarket exhaust.

I have run the above exhaust on the LMM and it is loud enough especially under high power. Wouldn't want to go louder. I had a crew cab LB.

I did an LBZ and it was quiet with the DE exhaust, but the LMM's have more drone to them. They aren't loud, but the drone is noticeable. I did one on a CCSB with a topper, and we ended up having to dial the boost back up and rework it because the drone at 1500-1800 was just about unbearable. I think the 6 VS 7 hole injector tips of the LMM play a part in how the engine burns the fuel and the exhaust note.

Looks like DE only makes the Quiet Tone option in Aluminized. SS wasnt much more but they only make that QT piece in aluminum.

Ferm, do you think I should do more than the QT pipe since the LMM drones so much more?

Leroy's prices seem to have gone WAY up. I found a kit at diesel power products,

http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/...ption-01-07-66l-lb7llylbz-duramax-k4114a.aspx

When I called asking about the QT in SS the guy seemed to think that the LBZ kit would not meet up with the hangers, but as far as I know he has never touched one. I dont care if its loud outside out the end of the pipe, what I dont want to deal with anymore is the drone going down the highway and pulling.

The hangers will need some tweaking for an LMM. An LMM exhaust without DPF is only available in a race option and costs a small fortune. With a few hanger tweaks an LBZ exhaust will bolt right on. As for the QT front pipe, it is only available in aluminized. As for wether you need it or not, that is dependant on how quiet you want it.

Leroy's prices seem to have gone WAY up. I found a kit at diesel power products,

The exhaust you first PMed me about was for a DPF delete. Not many suppliers even carry that anymore since the laws changed. As a result the prices have gone up.
On the second one you just hot linked to Im a couple dollars less. PM sent.

Back