• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

lly wont start with out help

beej1996

Reaction score
Hi all was wondering if anybody had some in site on a problem my truck is having. I have a 2004.5 lly motor, its stock,about 130 k miles ,changed fuel filter to see if it would fix problem but it didn't and the air cleaner is clean . the problem I am having is the engine will crank but won't start with out using starting fluid spray then takes a few seconds for it to get through to air intake and it will start running . also I can sometimes get it to enter limp mode by romping on the throttle while driving up hills or towing a heavy load and getting on throttle to pull hills .

Thanks for the help in advance Brian

Worst thing you could possibly do is use starting fluid. Apparently your glows aren't working or the explosion would have destroyed a piston top or two. You'll need to get codes read to see what else is going on

Sent from my SCH-I535

Injectors or CP3, you need to do a return rate test on it to see. And NEVER use starting fluid with glow plugs enabled. Or like said above, you can kiss your engine goodbye. I wish they would stop selling the stuff myself as it does more harm than good 90% of the time.

First off, welcome to the Forum! :welcome2:

Did the truck start prior to you doing any work on it?

Sounds to me like you may have a fuel prime issue. Is the pump on top of the fuel filter good and hard?

Back