• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

LLY will not idle correctly after warmed up

zman1776

Reaction score
Hello,

problem: LLY will not idle smoothly after engine gets to 140-150 ish, injector return rates and command for injectors go to zero in park, fuel pedal at 0%, little bit of grey smoke on start up cold after that not smoke at all even getting on it going down the road.

I have a nock off of the tech2 and I have a Launch 129E.

Truck has 170,000 miles, Banks tuner but has been on stock setting for several years, AFE moth piece, Y bridge, PPE down pipe with exhaust manifold, valve cover exhaust gas bypass, Air Dog 100GPH lift pump,EGR delete, extra radiator in bumper, Banks air intake.

Truck ran fine other than blown head gasket and I had done the EGR delete and valve cover return bypass several years ago along with the air intake, mouth piece, Y bridge, and Bank Tuner. The only codes I have been getting before and after the head gasket job has been the EGR codes.

I just got done doing the head gasket's in the truck. Heads were taken to the machine shop and new valve seals installed, remain injectors installed, sense I was at it I put on PPE turbo down pipe and exhaust manifolds and a Air Dog 100GPH lift pump and deleted the original fuel filter and housing, engine harness was put over the drivers side fender when I was doing the head gaskets and I ice picket the injector connectors. Compression rates are 300 -325 on all cylinders on a cold engine, I did the valve adjustment when I did the head gaskets and i double checked the lash three times because I did not want to take everything apart again, however I do hear a tapping sound under the FICM at idle- don't know if that is injector or valve lash or is normal? Did fuel injector return rates and both came back ok 30ML both sides, checked the fuel rail pressure relief valve and no fuel is leaking by. I replaced the ECT sensor, replaced the fuel rail pressure sensor because it was reading out of spec. I have visually inspected the wire harness next to the FICM, Injector 2 and I have replaced the Injector 7 connector because I broke the plastic tap.

When the engine is cold you can get balance rates and command signal at idle in park. When the engine gets warm the truck idles rough and the balance rate's goes to zero and command signal on all 8 bounces from zero to what ever however I have noticed that 1,2,3 CYL will be zero sometimes when the other CYL will be off zero- don't know if this means anything? The only way to get the truck to smooth out and for the balance rates to show up is to put the brake on and/or aircondlting and/or put the steering all the way to one side. Some times you have to do all there to get the truck under load so that the balance rates will show up. Actual and desired fuel pressure hasn't been more than 250 PSI from each other. I was able to get max fuel pressure of 23,000. I don't know what I should be looking at doing this but I used the tech2 to cut out each injector separately and even thought it was hard to hear I'm pretty sure I could hear a difference on all eight injectors. When I have been able to get balance rates captured and taking the actual fuel rate and getting the correct rates, number 7 has been out of spec the entire time so I'm now on the third remain injector on that CYL, all others are within the +/- 4. I have put a clear tube inline for the fuel system and I have not seem any air bubbles.

So with all that being done I'm lost on what to do next. I'm thinking it's a wiring issue or maybe one or more injectors that is not out of balance? How do you test the FICM and ECM? These to things are expensive and I just don't want to replace them with out testing.

Thanks in advance!

Where did you get your injectors at? If the engine starts to run rough and the balance rates cant correct it, they will zero out on the scanner. I had a LLY in the other month doing the exact same thing here at work. 8 reman Bosch injectors fixed it.

Dales Super Store out of Florida for the 8. I bought 2 from Injectors direct - both have went in to number 7 cylinder. I new I should of just payed the price for the new Bosch injectors but I was trying to save money - now Im paying for it. So you think If I just do the Bosch new of rem that will fix my problem? Were did you get your injectors?

I could be the issue. Its hard to diagnose running issues like this over the internet. Even for a 20yr mechanic like myself. But it looks like you checked everything else already.

We buy all of our injectors from a local certified bosch distributor at work. Columbus Diesel, which was recently bought out by Diesel USA Group.

Injectors direct has a bad rep for duramax injectors. 30ml return per bank is way to much fuel for rebuilt injectors. 30ml per bank would be to much for 500k mile injectors. The GM MAX spec is 30ml for all 8 injectors, 4 ml per injector, or 15ml per bank, and at 30 ml max return you can still get low rail pressure codes. Rebuilt injectors should return nothing, but anything more than 1ml would fail any test machine. The only time I've seen balance rates go to zero is when your fuel rate drops so low that a balance rate would put it to fueling less than 0mm3 of fuel for a cylinder. But anything below about 3mm3 of fuel will automatically 0 out the balance rates.

"The only time I've seen balance rates go to zero is when your fuel rate drops so low that a balance rate would put it to fueling less than 0mm3 of fuel for a cylinder. But anything below about 3mm3 of fuel will automatically 0 out the balance rates." what is 3mm3 in PSI or do you mean the command signal? When you ran across this what was the problem? Do you think this is injectors or something else?

Back