• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

LLY smoke, running bad..then normal?

Dieseldad97

I now know why.
Reaction score
Hey, I hope all of you are doing well.

My 05 will run good for weeks at a time. Sometimes when I'm cruising down the road could be 5 miles or 50 miles....I come to a stop sign and when I step on the pedal the truck has no power, lots of white smoke...smells like diesel.

I stomp on the pedal...the truck will spew smoke...shake and suddenly run normal again. This only happens sometimes. No engine light to grab a code. Looking for some ideas here guys.

What are the symptoms of a plugged EGR? Could my FPR be doing this? Thanks.

Go down to a GM dealer and buy a bottle of the GM fuel injector and top engine cleaner. Get a 2 gallon can with 1 gallon of diesel, a 3 foot section of 1/2", a 3 foot section of 3/8" hose, disconnect the fuel lines from the engine, connect the hoses, dump the cleaner into the diesel, put the hoses into the jug of diesel cleaner mix, start engine, let it run for 10 minutes, shut it off for 10, redtart and repeat until mix is gone. The rough running and white smoke is the early signs of sticking injectors. I had one start off just like yours, then one morning it just stopped starting. When I pulled the injectors out, I took a few apart, and found the pintle inside the nozzle was stuck in all of them. The GM cleaner does a good job flushing out the buildup if you get it before they stick and it stops runn8ng.

Sounds egr to me. Fuel rail will trip a code pretty quick and doesn't typically blow smoke.
Egr won't normally give white smoke. You'll get black smoke from a rich mixture, but never seen one blow white. White is normally massive amounts of fuel being dumped, enough so to the point it puts the flame out.

I don't know if it's the video amplifying it or what, but that sounds like a loose rocker or a bad injector tapping like that. I also seen your video showing thebalance rates. Without knowing the fuel rate at the time the balance rates are read, they're useless. You must know the fuel rate so you can correct the numbers as required.

I don't know if it's the video amplifying it or what, but that sounds like a loose rocker or a bad injector tapping like that. I also seen your video showing thebalance rates. Without knowing the fuel rate at the time the balance rates are read, they're useless. You must know the fuel rate so you can correct the numbers as required.

Thanks for the help. Yeah, the truck has had that tick for the entire time I've owned it. From what I've heard it's normal for the lly...who knows.

I'm not sure what you mean with the fuel rate when I'm taking a reading though. I'll do some research on this. Thanks again for the help.

The fuel rate is the amount of fuel the ecm is commanding injected. Heres a write up I did on checking balance rates.
http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/proper-way-to-check-balance-rates.41579/

Sorry to bother you again Ferm. I really do appreciate the help. I read through your thread about the balance rates. A good read and I realize I have lots to learn haha. Anyways, can you look at these pics and tell me if you see anything wonky? I'm not sure what to look at to find the fuel rates. Thanks.IMG_7928.JPG IMG_7929.JPG

For yours you need to add main injec and pilot inje together to get the actual total fuel rate. You also ONLY check balance rates with a warm engine. Preferrably 180-185 degrees, take it and drive it a few miles at that temp, then take the readings. I can tell from your desired fuel rail pressure that your engine was not up to temp as lly's hot idle at 30 mpa.

Happened again today. Started and ran fine going to the grocery store, while waiting for my wife the truck ran normal for the 10 min I waited. Driving away it starts to buck and smoke white and wouldn't exellerate. I pulled over and checked codes with my Preditor and came up with po101...and po401. Could this be my EGR at fault? I may need to delete this thing.

Did you ever correct the injector harness short issue that was common on LLYs or the 2 and 7 (IIRC) injector connectors?

Did you ever correct the injector harness short issue that was common on LLYs or the 2 and 7 (IIRC) injector connectors?

Hey Mike. Yes I've looked into those areas a few years back. I don't think this is what it is though. Although I could be wrong...wouldn't be the first time :) I hooked up my predator tuner while it was running like crap and all 8 balance rates looked good from what I understand.

P0101 is a maf performance code meaning actual airflow doesn't match desired. P0401 is for low egr flow, many times is caused by an open exhaust with no cat.

P0101 is a maf performance code meaning actual airflow doesn't match desired. P0401 is for low egr flow, many times is caused by an open exhaust with no cat.

Thanks ferm. I'm just wondering what these codes have to do with my problem. My exhaust still has the cat, but no muffler. Do my symptoms resemble a plugged EGR I'm wondering? Man, I wish I was smarter with all of this stuff! I've been spending waaay too much time reading and watching uTube vids trying to understand what's going on with my truck.

I may just delete the EGR and while in there, install a new FPR and see where this leads me.

Just block the EGR and since you're on Predator tune you can get a finger stick to shut off the 401 code.

DON'T DELETE unless you plan on doing the passenger side up pipe. The delete kits always end over time with a cracked bellows in the egr tube as that little bracket doesn't provide enough support. Just do a blocker plate and finger stick.

Back