• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Lift pump

Jaryd

Extremely Deplorable
Reaction score
The carter lift pump that I bought last year, might have been this year 🤷‍♂️ has dropped dead on me. It was reading over 10 lbs on the fuel pressure guage when I first installed it but that didn’t last long. Before it quit it was reading 4 lbs idling and would go to 0 lbs with nowhere near full throttle. It died on the way to my mamas house today and luckily my parts truck is at her house in the pasture so I pulled the stock pump off of it and put it on mine and now have 5 lbs and the pressure don’t move hardly at wide open throttle.

Question is, is there a good lift pump that don’t cost what the Airdog or Fass pumps cost. There’s no way I could spend that kind of money right now. I wont something dependable and that I can count on without spending $400-$600.

I know about the EP158 and I looked at this Walbro but have never used one and Leroy quit selling them a while back so I don’t know if they are what they used to be now.

FRC8 said only 1/8” inlet and outlet? Wowzer

I have no better recommendations but after the other issues- idk that I would want to jump on them. The Delco we know will die, but isn’t crazy priced.

back in the day before ethanol/ methanol mixed in the diesel we used to run holley red or blue (can’t remember) but they can’t handle this alchy fuel. Sure wish they could.

Here's a link of my Cummins Delphi install on mine. We put the same setup on my son's K5 when we did the 6.5 swap. So far so good pressure and reliability wise for me and him.

Here's a link of my Cummins Delphi install on mine. We put the same setup on my son's K5 when we did the 6.5 swap. So far so good pressure and reliability wise for me and him.

The Delphi HFP 953 on Rock Autos website don’t look the same as what yours is. It says updated design. Did the looks of the pump update that much?

My raptor was a bolt in but it was kinda spendy, IIRC it was about $350. I'd have to go back and look in my thread but it seems like I used Leroy's adapter fittings

I wish I could buy a Raptor. Yall know what Christmas does to the bank account. Hopefully by the time whatever pump I get this time goes out I’ll be able to get a Raptor.

The lift pump situation astounds me. All the diesels used world wide and there just isn’t a great pump factory from one manufacturer at a descent price?!

Really wish I was good at researching online. Toyota, Mercedes, etc in Eu or Asia has to have a descent one I would think.

I relate it to the gear driven larger inlet opening Db2 in fords to the 5/16 hole, chain driven GM unit and the Fords last way longer with same micron fuel filtering. We just got stuck with penny pinching problem.

The lift pump situation astounds me. All the diesels used world wide and there just isn’t a great pump factory from one manufacturer at a descent price?!

Really wish I was good at researching online. Toyota, Mercedes, etc in Eu or Asia has to have a descent one I would think.

I relate it to the gear driven larger inlet opening Db2 in fords to the 5/16 hole, chain driven GM unit and the Fords last way longer with same micron fuel filtering. We just got stuck with penny pinching problem.

I agree 100%. You would think that somebody could make a pump that would last At least several years and cost less than 200$. But instead you pay less than that for one that last a year maybe two or double/triple that price and get a good pump but I don’t know how long they last. There are quit a few post on the internet about the Fass and Airdog pumps having to be replaced under warranty.

I’m not any good at searching on the internet either

I have an HD Pump from Heath in my '99 and it's been solid since my ownership started in 2010.

You have that DS4 mess otherwise I would send you the "classic" FRB-5 Walbro PSI rated for a DB2 off Patch . It 8 years of use outlived the truck and a few engines... I used a single "grade 8" 1/4" bolt to hold the Walbro to the frame with an existing hole at an angle.

OEM's are using in tank lift pumps now and some around 50 PSI. Yeah, with my luck on lift pumps (looking at Fass and Airdog's reputation no longer bulletproof ) I considered via attempting to install a belt drive oil pump style lift pump, but, it wouldn't fit the larger 6.7 damper and fan on my 5.9.

A Carter with the fuel cooled motor I tried didn't last long on biodiesel. Made funny noise before the weekly oil change and fuel PSI test could catch it dead.

A call to Walbro to verify specs on a FRB-11 may help. Their number is here as well as a past discussion on rated life of their models being ~50% less on some.

I have an HD Pump from Heath in my '99 and it's been solid since my ownership started in 2010.
The ever loved AC Delco EP158 or the airtex E3158 (see what they did with the numbers there?) If you look at the sticker made to cover the logo, and the dimpling in the case, it becomes easier to to ID which pump is being relabeled by folks. When a few of us got together and did comparison tests of the 4 different Delcos, 2 airtex, and places relabeling like Predator and such- the ep158 as hands down winner-

Problem is yours lasting this long and still having full pressure (do you have a live gauge you read while driving down the road?) is rare. There are 1994 pickups with the factory PMD and a couple hundred thousand miles on it. Be happy yours is the exception to the rule not the norm. Oh, and if superstitions, go knock some wood, do 3 circles around the truck, or what have you so this doesn’t jinx it.

And remember, making noise doesn’t mean it’s working. Only a pressure gauge tells you the ip isn’t being worn out too fast. Until one day hard starting begins and you then are a gauge and think my lift pump must have just now went bad. Change it and it starts easier. Then soon afterwards the hard starts come back and a good lift pump isn’t enough to get over the hump...

John Kennedy sells a dmax pump with correct fittings to bolt right in on our trucks...

Thanks for that. I forgot all about looking at his website.

I see that it says 3-4 psi at idle on a Duramax. I wonder where he is measuring that at. At the lift pump, at the filter, at the IP. Wonder what the GPH is on that pump. I might call or email him and ask where he is measuring the pressure at because I don’t think 3-4 psi is enough for the ds4. I dont know if a Duramax has more restrictions in the fuel system before it gets to the IP then we do. If it does then it might have higher psi on the 6.5.

Back