• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

LED flasher

ak diesel driver

6.5 driver
Reaction score
So I put an LED stop/turn in my work van tonight. That side won't blink now. Is this a flasher issue, I thought it just blinked fast?

Just curios: what happens if the filament bulb goes back in? Perhaps the circuit board in the rear is shorting?

IIRC, mine did not quick flash until I replaced both the front and back signal lights with LED's. With just LED's in the back, the flashing cycle remained normal. Cure to the quick flash was a LED rated blinker relay.

Only down-side to a LED rated blinker relay is it does not do the long first signal and goes straight to the normal cycle flashing.

I don't think the LEDs draws enough amperage to heat up the flasher unit enough to allow them to flash. I think there is a resister that can be added to each side that`ll make them flash.

For systems that are not compliant with LED's, the resistor is for adding load that the LED does not have. Even without the resistor, the system should still do a 'quick-flash' (aka: hyperflash) just like it would do if the filament blew.

In this case, there is no blink going on which I am interpreting as zero illumination. If correct, I suspect a voltage leak that is enough to take down the voltage, but not enough to blow the fuse. Another possibility (again, presuming that there is zero illumination) is that the new LED is bad and causing the behavior through an internal short.

Gotcha. Seems that the system is not working normally anyway and suspect the existing flasher relay is going bad.

If it goes back to working normally with a filament bulb, chances are good that either a resistor or LED compliant flasher relay is the cure. Given a choice, I'd go for the new flasher relay as it will cure all locations at once.

Back