• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Leaky hydroboost

Rodd

Recruit
Reaction score
The hydroboost is leaking on my burb. I replaced it in 2016 with a cardone from rock auto 1 year warranty. It has lasted 5 years. I replaced the power steering pump about 6 months ago so the weakest link finally gave out. My question is do I get another one from rock auto for about $215 (core inclinded. I didn't return the last core since I didn't feel like packing and shipping it back). I can get one locally from the all the auto part stores for about $280 with a lifetime warrrany. Which way would you go?

I wouldn't recommend anything from Cardone reman units. those are rebuilt junk. was your old one just leaking? you can pickup a seal kit relatively cheap and there's lots of youtube videos and write ups on how to rebuild it. one thing to check on yours is if the accumulator is functioning. should have a couple of normal brake presses with the engine off. if that part is good, then I'd go for re-sealing it.

I wouldn't recommend anything from Cardone reman units. those are rebuilt junk. was your old one just leaking? you can pickup a seal kit relatively cheap and there's lots of youtube videos and write ups on how to rebuild it. one thing to check on yours is if the accumulator is functioning. should have a couple of normal brake presses with the engine off. if that part is good, then I'd go for re-sealing it.
I was thinking about resealing it. What is the exact process for checking the accumulator?

I was thinking about resealing it. What is the exact process for checking the accumulator?
I'll let the other guys chime in on the exact procedure to test. I know the unit still needs to be installed on the truck to test. but my best explanation is to pump the pedal with the engine off, start it up and do a couple of brake presses. feel the pedal pressure and make a mental note.... turn off the engine and press the brake pedal. it should feel the same for 3-5 presses and then will get hard as a rock. you'll also hear some swooshing as your pressing the pedal. that's the accumulator releasing the stored charge pressure.

you can also to this test with the truck rolling slowly in a safe area. if when you turn off the engine and you have to stand on the pedal to stop on the first couple of presses, the accumulator is gone.

I found the problem. It isn't the Hydroboost. Although it was a little wet below the HB it really wasn't bad, not as much as you would expect to have to refill the PS res. It is actually leaking (bad) from the PS high pressure line at the pump itself. It is about 4 or 5 years old. The o-ring basically came off in pieces when we unscrewed it. Just wondering if replacing the o-ring (what size?) is a good thing or should I order an new line?

Try just the oring.
If the oring sat around in parts supply too long- it easily fails by itself.
The hose should be good a couple decades.

Try just the oring.
If the oring sat around in parts supply too long- it easily fails by itself.
The hose should be good a couple decades.
Thanks Will! Any idea of the size? I know there are multiple sizes with the inner diameter being the same just fatter or skinnier. Also I have a bunch of green A/C o-rings, should I use one of them or not?

AC orings should work. I have used those before in a pinch and never had any problems. make sure that there isn't any remenants of the old oring inside the fitting on the pump.

Back