• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

LBZ Code P0678 Glow Plug Controller Error

Marauderer

Grumpy Old Cur***geon
Reaction score
It started last Monday at 6am. I went to start the Truck, it was 2?*F outside, and at the end of the 3 sec glow plug on before start the glow plug light stayed on and I waited another 3 sec and then started the Truck and the glow plug light on on the dash went out but, I had a CEL by then. The code thrown was the P0678 code when I pulled it up on my Edge Tuner. I cleared it and it never came back on that day. A few days later I started the truck in the early morning and the same thing happened but, I was ready for it. The same results. This is the only code that was thrown. I have read enough threads about this that I am going to start by checking all the plugs for continuity, resistance, and make sure all the gp connections are tight and not corroded. If I don't come up with anything I will see what I am going to do next.

Comments and suggestions are solicited. This has me upset as this is my special truck.

Sounds like#8 GP is bad. Back one LH side pretty easy to change. Should be some pics from when I did my left bank. $25 or so each at RA.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Barry. Grady and Mike did a nice write up on these making it look easy. Take a look at my post, #26 and #36. http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sh...ug-Replacement&p=414594&viewfull=1#post414594
I had the glow plugs go one at a time. I eventually bought 8 new ones and replaced them all, and kept the others that were still good for any future changes.

Another good thread.

I think I will buy all eight gp's and change the Drivers side first and then to the passenger side next and be done with it.

I expected to have changed the right bank by now but they all still work. Below zero the next week so they'll get a good test.

Sent from my SCH-I535

OK, Rock Auto list three different replacement Glow Plugs.

ACDELCO Part # 61G More Info {#97364968}
GLOW PLUG

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # GP114 More Info Terminal Type: Screw; Terminal Gender: Male; Direct OE Replacement; Number of Terminals: 1; Connector Gender: Male

BOSCH Part # 80044 More Info

I don't have to go with the most inexpensive one. I am leaning towards the Standard Motor Product one but am interested in what you guys have to say before I order them.

[h=1]Has anyone used these??

6.6 L DURAMAX Diesel LLY LBZ Fast Start Glowplugs Glow Plugs Silverado 3500 2500[/h][h=2]Dual Coil, Improved Starting -MADE IN USA - 2006-2011[/h]
Premium Wellman (0057) dual-element, self regulating glow plugs. (set of eight).
Beware, inexpensive plug sets selling in the $50-$60 range are usually Chinese knock-offs, prone to swell and break. Their selling price is less than our cost on these premium Wellman plugs.
By now, most Americans should know, get what you pay for. We have no problems with others selling their products cheap, they know what their stuff is worth!
These plugs fit any 6.6 Duramax 2006-2011
These plugs heat up 20% faster and get 100 deg. hotter than the original plugs.
Wellman has made OEM Glow Plugs for GM for 20 years, now they have updated and improved the design for the Duramax plugs.
These updated plugs offer a noticable improvement in cold weather starting.
Wellman has put considerable design effort into these new plugs to ensure that they not only start better, but have improved service life.
Special attention has been paid to the plug tips in order to minimize potential swelling that can occur as the plugs age. Some lesser plugs can swell so big at the tip that they won't come back out of the head, that's a problem you don't need.
Tested two times at the factory before shipping.
Pricing is for the set of 8.

Made in Shelbyville, Indiana, USA
Warranted by Wellman Automotive Products for one full year.

As I am waiting for some responses I saw this in the sig line of one of my emails

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others... It is the same when you are stupid.

I went with the stock, OEM AC Delco plugs that you listed from Rock Auto. I think it said made in Germany on the package.

Do a search for WAP glow plugs and you will find PLENTY of reasons to avoid them at ALL costs. The AC DELCO glow plugs are made by BERU and are of EXCELLENT quality(they make most all of the OEM glow plugs, and have for years). And 04.5+ already use rapid heat carbon pile glow plugs, the LB7's are the ones that used conventional glow plugs.

Yes, I finally decided on the AC Delco's as they have done well for 94K mi and and hopefully this new set will last just as long. Thanks everyone for your input.

How's 242,000 miles and 8 N. Illinois winters on the right bank 4 grab you for quality of the OEM ones?

Sent from my SCH-I535

Last edited:
I don't have an inside place to work and Winter has come to Georgia for the next week. It is 21*F this morning when I put out the trash cans. Now I know that isn't cold for a lot of you guys standards, especially Bison and AK Driver, but for an Ole Southern Boy like me it is cold. I guess I will have to work outside for a while today to toughen up.

When I change out the gp's I think I want the engine warmed up so the plugs will come out easier. The temp coefficient for expansion on the aluminum head vs. the steel gp's is significant and warmed up the aluminum shouldn't be gripping the steel threads as much. I also plan on using anti-seize when I put the new ones in on the threads. I wonder if it will make any difference using aluminum of copper anti-seize?

Back