• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Jeep YJ diesel conversion

jcool

#78 A(ACLU) FNG
Reaction score
anyone done this? My wife and I are aquiring her parents 89 wrangler. currently it has 230k on its clock with the anemic 2.5 and AX5 manny tranny. Its got 35" tires on a suspenion and body lift and tops out at an amazingly blazing speed of around 60mph and only goes about 150-200 miles on a tank.....:eek: It will be a while before I can get to the project but any input is appreciated:thumbsup: ps i was thinking 4bta......

Yeah the 4bt is a good choice. Very popular swap. If you had a specific question it would be easier to help.

listen to akdieseldriver. He knows what hes talking about. There is alot of info there and many people do jeep swaps on there. Considering your going with the 4bta, your on the right road!

Thanks guys. Here is what I am after. I would like to retain the factory axles/trans case if possible and was thinking the NV4500 would make the best tranny as the wifie only wants a standard jeep with a diesel. So any input on where to start would be great!! I have been looking on 4btswaps as well.

If you haven't already got a engine lined up I would try to get one that already has the adapter plate on it for the GM trannies. If you can't find one already setup that way I've seen them on ebay several times. It uses the same adapter as the 6bt.

If you haven't already got a engine lined up I would try to get one that already has the adapter plate on it for the GM trannies. If you can't find one already setup that way I've seen them on ebay several times. It uses the same adapter as the 6bt.

thankyou! whats a fair price for a running 4bt(a) with/without adaptor plate?

I run the same "bread truck" adapter on my 6bt and 4L80E.
FWIW I got one of the 6bt's for a $1200 in great running condition and a second 6bt for $1000, but not sure about the condition. I'm planing another swap with it into a 96 GMC.
4bt's are in a world of thier own as far as prices go (supply and demand)

Also, I paid $600 ea for the complete adapters (bought two) including starter.
You need to make sure you get the adapter, flex plate, wave ring, bolts, starter and crank hub adapter at the same time as it is harder to find the parts piece by piece later.

I run the same "bread truck" adapter on my 6bt and 4L80E.
FWIW I got one of the 6bt's for a $1200 in great running condition and a second 6bt for $1000, but not sure about the condition. I'm planing another swap with it into a 96 GMC.
4bt's are in a world of thier own as far as prices go (supply and demand)

Also, I paid $600 ea for the complete adapters (bought two) including starter.
You need to make sure you get the adapter, flex plate, wave ring, bolts, starter and crank hub adapter at the same time as it is harder to find the parts piece by piece later.

Thanks gents! I definatly have no idea what im getting myself into!!! would a 6bt fit in a yj???

I was thinking that would be the case. everyone seems proud selling these 4bt's online, they are pricey:eek:

If you don't mind some fabrication work, they say the MERCEDE 5 cylinder turbo REALLY works well in a JEEP. For a drivetrain even with a 4BT, I would go with a NV4500 and find a NP241DLD to back it up. The 231 is a decent case, but doesn't stand a chance behind a diesel if you ever load it hard one time. The straight 6's have been known to tear em up in stock form.

If you don't mind some fabrication work, they say the MERCEDE 5 cylinder turbo REALLY works well in a JEEP. For a drivetrain even with a 4BT, I would go with a NV4500 and find a NP241DLD to back it up. The 231 is a decent case, but doesn't stand a chance behind a diesel if you ever load it hard one time. The straight 6's have been known to tear em up in stock form.

I have my mind set on the NV4500 definatly now after reading more about them online. I guess I really need to look into t-cases as well as you mentioned. This build will not happen any time soon, I am just getting a good idea of what I am going to do.... Will the factory axles handle a diesel? I am not going for gobs of power, just great economy and something more reliable than the 2.5/ax5 setup. Not sure about the 5 cylinder though, it may not fit.....

Economy is definately the 4bt's strong suit. I've heard of swaps like yours getting 35-40 mpg. Ihave a 26' P30 that when I drove up the Alcan with about 2k in it and got 17 mpg.

Economy is definately the 4bt's strong suit. I've heard of swaps like yours getting 35-40 mpg. Ihave a 26' P30 that when I drove up the Alcan with about 2k in it and got 17 mpg.

what do you think is the most cost effective stuff i should look for, i know a 4bt but the nv4500 has so many variants i have no idea which would be the cheapest overall to convert!

NV4500 has its own forum, just do a google search to find it.

I have seen on other forums of people using the NV4500 in jeeps.

Thanks guys, I will keep you all updated when the project starts. ps if anyone wants a well maintained LB7 I have mine up for sale.

I have recently installed a 6.2L military humvee engine in my XJ and get close to 26mpg. I paid a whopping $80 from a military auction. I might go with a duramax later but with the budget I had this is working great with the economy already. On the trail the 165HP and 300ft lbs are not much different then the stock 4.0 gasser but a turbo would be real nice on the highway and for towing. all in all if it is economy and trail work a 6.2l or 6.5l can be found pretty cheap as long as you do your homework on setup and checking out the block first.

Back