• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Issue with GMT800 13" Rear Discs on GMT400

Davkenrem

Reaction score
I finished up my Brakes yesterday morning on my 97 K1500 Suburban. I swapped in a 9.5" SF and used the disc package from a 2002 Suburban with the 13" rear discs. I go to put the wheels back on and they do not fit over the rotors.

I did my research and others claim to have used 16" wheels over the 13" NBS Rotors.

The difference appears to be that others are using after market wheels, and I'm using factory.

Question, does anyone have experience with this swap using 16" wheels?

Attachments

• mysuburban.jpg
    mysuburban.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 6
GM used 17's with the 13" rotors. They say you can grind the caliper to make new style 16's clear, or run wheel spacers to get the rim out padt the caliper. Also make sure you machine the axles to allow your rotors to go all the way on. The axles are slightly larger around at the flange on a 9.5" than a 10 bolt, and your rotors will crack if you don't machine the axle flange down some to allow them to slide fully on. This is if you use truck rear brakes from what I read, there is supposedly a van rotor you can use that works without machining, but I believe they use the larger parking brake.

Ok, I've read the post where the guy had to grind his flanges but I think he was running the smaller discs. Do you have personal experience with this or did we read the same post?

I read several posts about it. It has to do with the diameter inside the rotor for the drum portion for the parking brake. I would get a micrometer and double check it as all the late model 6 lug axles used tge smaller flange, only the 00 and older 9.5" 14 bolt in 6 lug used the odd ball slightly larger flange.

Here is a photo of the (my) rotor on the axle. Note the rotor is all the way back against the backing plate, and the protrusion of the hub through the center of the rotor. It is back flush against the Backing Plate and axle hub. Rear is from a 94 Z71.

0708181558.jpg

Here is a photo of the rotor belonging to the guy who cracked his. Note the distance between the rotor and backing plate. Almost 3/4". Also note the difference in rotor thickness between his and mine.

IMG_063637.jpg

Here is the cracked rotor image. Note the amount of machined rotor surface. I don't think that is a 13" rotor.

IMG_06841400x.jpg

Here is my 13" rotor.

0609181554a.jpg

Last edited:
Back