• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Is My Injection Pump Bad?

JohnShead

Reaction score
I have had several incidents of not starting while hot. I was towed home a couple times, once I went back the next day and it started right up. I blamed it on the FSD so I got two new ones from Leroy and mounted them both to my heat sink so I can quick change. Since then it has happened several more times. I found on another thread that pouring water on the IP when this happens sometimes will get it to start. The last 3 times it did it, twice today, I poured water on it and it started right up but with stepper motor fault and very advanced timing, but I least I was able to get home. I have a clear line on the IP return and there are no bubbles. My grounds are good, all engine harness wiring connections have been cleaned up and tightened as I described in another thread where I was chasing IP codes. I bought this IP from S&S Diesel (I didn't know) about 100K miles and 9 years ago. Is it time for a new one or should I check something else?

By saying FSD are you referring to the pump mounted driver (PMD)? If so, where do you have it mounted? I have mine mounted under the front bumper and have not had that problem since (at least 10 years). It's usually best to mount the new PMD/ heatsink outside of the engine bay. Some climates may be more forgiving than others. I'm in central CA and it's °104 degrees today.

Stupid cheap simple things first: Is the lift pump working? Yes, put a pressure gauge on the water drain and "0" can be a vacuum. How old is the fuel filter? What does the diesel from the filter water drain look and smell like: aka water or gasoline smell?

Bad lift pumps, kinked hoses, internal hose flappers...

And when it's all said and done get a NEW IP this time.

FSD = Fuel Solenoid Driver, I quit calling it PMD over 20 years ago after I removed it from the pump. It's still on the trailing edge of my front bumper behind the air dam. Lift pump is a Carter P4601HP giving 11psi at idle, I didn't test it while driving. The extension cable wires have been soldered to the original wires and insulated with marine heat shrink, no plugs to go bad except the one at the FSD. All wiring has been checked as described in my thread "Stepper Motor Fault" and alluded to in the OP.

Thanks y'all for the input, I'm sure it's the IP now but I can't find a new one, they quit making them. I tried Leroy he's out, Kennedy Diesel just sold their last one. I think I found one at usdieselparts.com for quite a bit more money, I ordered it, we'll see if that works out. I may have to buy a reman.

Thanks y'all for the input, I'm sure it's the IP now but I can't find a new one, they quit making them. I tried Leroy he's out, Kennedy Diesel just sold their last one. I think I found one at usdieselparts.com for quite a bit more money, I ordered it, we'll see if that works out. I may have to buy a reman.
Avoid SS Diesel Supply.
Nuff said. 😳😹

I tried to take WarWagon's advice to buy a new IP this time but I can't find one. Leroy told me they're not making them anymore and I tried to order from two other vendors who were sold out also, so I have to get a reman. Where is the best place to get one?

I wonder if Rock Auto has one. Dont forget, when buying through RA, there is a 5% discount code in their posts. Scroll down on main page and look for vendors. RA is listed, go to their posts. Code will be in there.

I have had 1 DB2 & 2 DS4 from Diesel Care & Performance in west Tn I have heard negative things however went I had a problem Billy Williams (owner) replaced the DS4 was not his fault it was the bad extension harness

Yup, discount usually will cover the freight.
Also, might want to check if the warranty will be covered if You purchase the IP through RA.

Stanadyne stopped making NEW DS4s in 2020, and stated that was the last batch to ever be produced. I've had very good luck with Dtech reman pumps over the years. Done at least 10 in customers trucks and never had one come back with any issues. Getting a rebuilt pump with a NEW head and rotor is a good idea if they are still available...

Edit: I just checked my suppliers website and they don't list a DS4 H&R anymore. I will have to call and ask if they are available or not. Alot of DS4 parts might be obsolete since they are no longer in production.

Last edited:
Yuppers. And once people pay the big bucks for reman ds4 that doesn’t run right- your gonna see a batch of trucks going up for sale. So learning how to diagnose bad ip and knowing what you get is gonna be a worth while skill.
Once it is known- there will be a bunch going for scrap.

All the more reason that fuel pressure gauge is critical. Seen brand new ip ruined in months over no fuel pressure.

Back