• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Is GM pushing people away from Regular cab trucks??

WilliamBos

Serial Post Whore in the making...
Reaction score
Was online at gmcanada.com building trucks, and CANNOT get much more than work truck type chassis in the 1500 regular cabs, not much better in the 2500HD either. Gears (in the 1500) like 3:08, not much for options and NO 6.2L (Max Trailer Package in Canada.) Have to go extended cab, or CC for that. CC is the way for me, since that is what I have nowq, and not sure I could do an extended cab.

Are they trying to push people away from Reg cabs, keeping them for basically work trucks??

Some models are not being built at this time so you will not be able to build it online. There is some plants being switched around and trucks will be build in other areas so you should see more coming later on in the year.

well, since GM dropped the manual transmission, and due to the overall shortage of RCLB trucks, I would say GM isnt catering towards industiral/commercial use as much as they used to, so I am not surpised at your findings, but as a ripmf666 said, it is probably due to shifting production, so if it went back to good availability, I wouldnt be surprised either.

IMHO Dodge is really onto something with their work truck, I think it is called the tradesman package. it is stripped down, hand cranks and vinyl, but it has the hemi and a 6spd auto.

alot of farmers around here love their regular cabs, and we have a rancher friend in Idaho that will only take a truck in the following config:

GMC
White
4x4
Reg. cab
8 foot bed
diesel

he had to drive to texas to get the last one, but he got a nice 08 LMM RCLB K2500HD. complains about the power. said he needs less, as he is going through rear tires like crazy. I guess it slips ever so slightly on the road, scrubbing the tires down.

anyways, I really love my regular cabs, considering I have slept in them a few times and can still say that makes me a devoted Regular cabber!

Lots of customers do not want a RC. More profit in a crew cab anyway. Usually, lifted and blinged out. Usually RC is a work truck with civilian trucks being higher end extended cabs or crew cabs. Very rare to find a RC with lots of options. Just what people buy. RC LB is even rarer in anything but a work truck.

America likes their cowboy cadillacs. It amazes me how much money (of the banks) folks will plunk down for a 'truck'.

I own all Reg. cabs. Would I buy a CC? Not new. Maybe a used one later. It would SIT most of the time. Can't justify driving/fueling a 8000 pound beast all the time.

I keep looking for a 6-door monstrosity to hit the market. Ton-and-a-half-4wd-limo-dually.. Lol.:rolleyes5:

I personally do not like regular cab trucks. Not being able to recline the seat makes for a very uncomfortable ride for me, especially while plowing where you have to back up just about as much as you go forward. Being able to reposition the seat is a great feature and regular cabs just don't give much room for that.

I need an EX/Crew for my business, the back seat makes a good second office. I have a filing box, printer, and sampling equipment in the back seat.

For a farm truck/dd I love my single cab.

When I was younger, I wasn't the biggest fan of a reg. cab truck, but as I got older, I really like how they look in general. I guess though, looking how many you see on the road when it comes to any brand, you just don't see many of them unless you are talking about a fleet truck for a contractor or a farm truck (that's what it is around here). There are a couple guys around me, one with a Silverado 3500HD and one with a F-350, that have a reg. cab long bed dually. Those to me, especially the Sliverado (an '05 or '06) is just one good looking truck. If I didn't need to worry about the kids, I would for sure look at a reg. cab long bed 2500HD truck for sure. It's like how a work truck should look like IMO.

I had an '03 RCLB 2500HD 8.1/A. I preferred that look but when I could no longer stand 10 gal of gas per day and went with diesel is when I bought the '05 LLY ECSB and then the '06 same setup. Those were my 1st ever trucks ever that weren't reg cabs. I wouldn't go back. I like the extra room.

I agree Mike. All I've ever had was an Ext. Cab or Crew Cab truck. I really like having the extra interior room and don't know how I'd feel about loosing all of that.

I agree. This is my first CC, coming from reg cab trucks. As much as I love having my fat ass on heated leather seats, I think I would get a lower trim level, just to stay in a CC. Or, buy used again, and have the best of both worlds!! :)

We'll the only 2 seater sports car I will ever probably want is another regular cab truck. Ok 3 seater.

I drove a small reg cab mitsubishi for years and not sure I could go back to just having that much room. But for a work truck I can see it I guess. I like ext cab now exclusively don't want a crew cab. Wouldn't mind a reg cab if it was a second truck.

As far as GM bean counters offering anything other than what the masses buy I'll wait and see how the lines develop. It sure appears they are going for profit margin. Why they can't make an affordable truck anymore is a shame. I feel its one of the reasons the economy is in such bad shape too much wasted money on expensive trucks/cars that people could better spend the money elsewhere. $40-55K and in 10 yrs what do you have to show for it??? But as long as people buy them they are going to make them.

There are ALOT of single cab 3500 4x4 GM trucks running around here, but I have noticed the # of new ones on the lot has taken a huge hit.

For ~2years (09&10) the local GMC dealer had so many reg cab 4x4 2500 & 3500 SRW and DRW they had to get a second lot. They were also moving trucks out the door quickly! I know a couple local companies get their fleet truck through them but that only accounts for a handful of the trucks. This year there have been alot of these models of trucks back up for grabs in the $20-30K range with 50-100K on them.

I seriously thought of getting one instead of my 06 LBZ but decided to wait on getting one that new just yet. $$$$

I'm 6'6", so having an Extended or Crew Cab is a must for my comfort. Plus we do a lot of hunting, horse shows, general trips towing, etc with our 05, so a crew cab was a must. We upgraded from an 03 ECSB and don't regret a bit, as much as my Mom complains about parking the dang thing, lol.

Back