• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

introduction

aussie burb

Reaction score
gday guys im from west australia. i recently bought a 2000 holden 2500 suburban 6.5 turbo aussie badged suburban i have a list of small problems which i hope to solve over the coming months. im very impressed with vehicule.in aussie slang terms its built like a brick shit house.im setting up to tow a caravan around australia. as you know it gets very hot here as you head north. what im after is any advice for diy cooling fixs. also any towing tips ie towing in overdrive or not. anything that you guys think would help. thanks guys.

Welcome!
Please fill out signature line with truck details and any modifications done. Enteringj it there it will show up automatically every post and we all know what we are ‘working on’.

Post lots of pics so we can see what all they have done that you might not be aware of. Make sure pictures of fan, fanclutch, radiator, heater hoses, thermostat crossover, waterpump. Turbo, exhaust, airfilter assembly, fuel filter assembly, etc. You can make video and post it to YouTube, bitchute, etc and post a link here also if thats bet

We can list a ton of things to do for making it last a long life, and some of us can list enough to put your bank account upside down so pick and choose whats most important.

how extreme is your use- all roads, easy off roading, water crossing, etc.?

idk metric off hand, but these engines are super sensitive to overheating- it’s #1 killer. I a d a few others live in southwest America which is our hottest area. So we give up a tiny amount of fuel efficiency for lower operating temp in the name of a few moments of added safety for the engine. We prefer to run at 180f. Factory is 195f and best fuel mileage (like 3% better) at 210f watch the temperature gauge more than the road. At 220f pull over and let it idle back to normal.

Welcome!
Please fill out signature line with truck details and any modifications done. Enteringj it there it will show up automatically every post and we all know what we are ‘working on’.

Post lots of pics so we can see what all they have done that you might not be aware of. Make sure pictures of fan, fanclutch, radiator, heater hoses, thermostat crossover, waterpump. Turbo, exhaust, airfilter assembly, fuel filter assembly, etc. You can make video and post it to YouTube, bitchute, etc and post a link here also if thats bet

We can list a ton of things to do for making it last a long life, and some of us can list enough to put your bank account upside down so pick and choose whats most important.

idk metric off hand, but these engines are super sensitive to overheating- it’s #1 killer. I a d a few others live in southwest America which is our hottest area. So we give up a tiny amount of fuel efficiency for lower operating temp in the name of a few moments of added safety for the engine. We prefer to run at 180f. Factory is 195f and best fuel mileage (like 3% better) at 210f watch the temperature gauge more than the road. At 220f pull over and let it idle back to normal.
Welcome!

gday mate thanks for your reply.ill will post all details asap

Good morning Aussie and welcome to the truck stop. Best thing I did to my truck for cooling was put dual thermostat 180s in it.. you can get them from one of our vendors on here. I'll try to post a link for them later but my truck runs at 180 no matter what now.. and this truck does a whole lot of towing. Couple of guys out on here from the far West of the United States live in really hot climates and they're the ones that told me how to get this thing cooler so trust me and listen to them..

Welcome to TTS AB.
I watched Parkers Trail on Discovery channel, He was in Australia in his last venture. Made picking gold look quite simple over there. 😹😹😹
i also watched another series, cant rememer its name, they was mining opels. That looked quite brutal. 😳😩😹😹😹

Welcome to TTS AB.
I watched Parkers Trail on Discovery channel, He was in Australia in his last venture. Made picking gold look quite simple over there. 😹😹😹
i also watched another series, cant rememer its name, they was mining opels. That looked quite brutal. 😳😩😹😹😹
try outback opal hunters its a good show

Back