• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Intermittant Starting Issues

Nail driver

Reaction score
I am finally the proud owner of a Duramax. 01 2500HD Crew LB 185k miles. I love this truck!

The problem is that sometimes the truck dies about 5 seconds after starting (as if it ran out of fuel) and it refuses to restart. I opened the bleeder plug at the filter and could see fuel and when I give it a pump fuel squirts out. Reinstall the plug and give it a pump and it is very firm. Still will not start. I do not know if it is related but there is a very slow drip coming from the drain valve on the bottom of the fuel filter.

Don't preach at me for this but the only way I have found to start this thing is to give it a whiff of either. Usually have to do it twice. After that there is no problem except that sometimes it will not get above 2000 rpm until I turn it off and re-crank it.

I have looked for a pattern that might tell me why it does this when it does but can not find any pattern. I often park on a steep incline and have noticed that it has not acted up if parked facing down hill. Also has never happened if after starting I rev up to about 1200 rpm for a few seconds.

So far it has not left me stranded but it is only a matter of time if I can not figure out what the issue is

I do not know if it is related but there is a very slow drip coming from the drain valve on the bottom of the fuel filter.

Don't preach at me for this but the only way I have found to start this thing is to give it a whiff of either. Usually have to do it twice. After that there is no problem except that sometimes it will not get above 2000 rpm until I turn it off and re-crank it.

So learn the hard expensive way about ether then. :p Your wallet will need some to dull the pain from it's use.

Your WIF is leaking and sucking air - no lift pump so the entire fuel system is under a vacuum. Any air leaks and you loose prime and stall or limp the truck. If you have a plastic Wix fuel filter - this is common. Replace with a "real" fuel filter like AC Delco or other metal can filter.

:rolleyes: I bet your glow plugs are all ruined. Check codes to confirm.

So much for the easy fix. Fuel leak needs to be fixed and that filter number looks like it needs to be replaced to do so. Fuel leaks are a dead giveaway for air leaks. Sometimes the leaks just leak air and are hard to pin down. Does this truck have a lift pump on it along with the different non - OEM filter?

wix makes the napa filter the gold is the best filter they offer.

don't replace your glow plugs until your done with the fuel issue. More starting fluid will wipe out your new glow plugs

Because the part numbers were the same or similar I guessed the NAPA filters were made by Wix. I did a little research and the Wix 33005 is one of the few 2 micron filters that I could find.

The OEM Duramax Wix with the plastic body is the problem at the WIF sensor threads - known bad design that leaks. You are not running the OEM setup so that problem doesn't apply.

Air and fuel leaks do apply.

So today I installed a new fuel filter. Not the 33005 because it did not fit as I was told but went with the 33960. After I re-primed the system I found the water sensor unit was leaking. Could not get it to stop so I replaced the sensor. Primed the system again and no leaks. I suspect that you were correct in your opinion that the leak is the culprit. My guess is that the sensor created an air pocket at the fuel filter. When starting the truck would burn the fuel in the line then die when it hit that air pocket a few seconds later. So far no leaks and no starting problems, but time will tell.

The plastic body 33960 Wix is the EXACT problem filter we speak of and

Oh the hell with it you are not listening anyway.

Thanks BT and special thanks to WarWagon. Your advice was invaluable in correcting this problem. It has been 1 week and a little of 1000 miles and there have been no starting issues. It seems the leaking water sensor at the fuel filter, though was very slow, was just enough to allow an air pocket to develop in the filter which would cause the truck to die seconds after starting. Apparently it would run until it burned the fuel out of the rail then it hit the air...

You may want to look into a nicktane OEM filter workaround. It is an adapter that screws onto the OEM filter head and allows the use of tall can spin on filters, specifically the CAT 1R0749 and 1R0750 filters. It is a really good mod!

Back