• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Intake Temp. Gauge

saturntech95

Reaction score
Ok so while I have my truck apart to fix it I figure I might as well add a few new toys while at it. Now I really want a intake air temp gauge but I cant seem to find one by annyone. Like a 2 1/16" gauge is perfered but if someone has anny other ideas I would love to hear them. I tried the search function for a while and came up with nothing other than reading it off a Scangauge or something of that sorts.

Here's an example of an Autometer I've seen a few people run.

http://www.stealth316.com/2-autometer3373.htm

Prolly more than most was to spend, but it's a good look at how Autometer does it.

You could use stock IAT sensors & some kind of laptop based datalogging. But that's not a ready-made solution.

Here are the digital options from Cyberdyne & Nordskog:

http://www.cyberdynegauges.net/temperaturegaugesproduct.php

http://www.frozenboost.com/index.php?cPath=213

Would be interesting to see how quickly the OEM IAT sensors respond to rapid temp changes - as compared to the Autometer setup?

I think I am gonna go with the Nordskog one cause they also make a matching fuel preasure gauge and they are very reasonabaly priced. Now to figure out where the hell to put 2 more gauges and have it look good still.

Let us know how the pressure gauge works out as well. I used one of Cyberdyne's digital temp gauges to alternately monitor both oil temp & coolant temp on a project about 10 years ago.

It was fundamentally accurate, but they were still evolving the circuitry that time averages the readings seen from the sender & the gauge display update rate. In simple terms, the display would often tend to quickly fidget btwn 2 adjacent numbers.... eg. 195, 196, 196, 195, etc. Not inaccurate - but kinda annoying.

One would hope they've got that well sorted by now.

On the gauge location options, I put 3 gauges in the cubby below the radio. It's reasonably easy to see & looks OK (pics in my album), but was a good deal of fab work & the mechanical gauge tubing feeds really complicate removing the dash bezel.

As another location suggestion, if you're not a smoker, the fold out ashtray might be an easier mounting location to work something into w/o undue fab time. If you're OK w/ the gauges quite a bit below line of sight, that location might offer some easy real estate to re-purpose.

I like the cubby idea but I was gonna mount my cb there... I was looking at the autometer overhead pods for Fords and Chevys, could probobly make one of those work with minor modification.

And w/ electric gauges, the connections to that location don't complicate things like mechanical gauge leads.

In retrospect, I wish I'd gone w/ an Autometer SCII electric fuel pressure gauge instead of my mechanical w/ isolator. Tried to save the $70 difference in cost, but don't think it was the best choice now.

I like the cubby idea but I was gonna mount my cb there... I was looking at the autometer overhead pods for Fords and Chevys, could probobly make one of those work with minor modification.

If it turns out you choose a location that could benefit from angling the gauges toward the driver, I've got a few of those wedge shaped spacers laying around that fit the 2 1/8" diameter gauges. Would happily send them for the cost of shipping to anybody that can use 'em.

That PLX stuff is awesome. If I didnt already have 5 gauges I would use one 60mm where I pulled the radio out of. That would be sweet.

With OBDII even cooler, a convenient scanner display.

Back