• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Installing Dual Batteries in a 2002 Silverado 2500HD with 6.0L Gas Engine

RayMich

Reaction score
I need to install an Auxiliary battery in our Snow Plow truck.

It is a 2002 Silverado 2500HD with 6.0L gas engine.

The guy that owned the truck before us had cobbled a second battery on the RH side but it is really a jury rigged install that did not work at all, so I decided to re-do the installation with factory parts.

I went to my local Chevy dealer and bought the OEM RH battery tray, bolts and brackets as well as two new DieHard batteries and the OEM battery cables. But I think I am missing a Battery-to-Battery cable.

I tried looking up pictures in my 2006 Service Manuals, but I can't find anything that shows how the cables must be routed and I can't see a Battery-to-Battery cable in the schematic.

The cable Part Numbers I have are as follows:

15321207 - Long Negative Cable (46" long)
15321209 - Small Ground Cable (11.5" long)
15321212 - Long Dual Negative Cables (Heavy Gauge 32.5" long / Small Gauge Cable 36.5" long)
15372006 - Long Positive Cable (39" long)

Can someone let me know if there is another Battery-to-Battery cable that goes from Positive to Positive between batteries. Unless I have to reuse the existing positive cable for the OEM LH battery, I can't see where the auxiliary battery positive terminal gets hooked up to.

Does anyone know where I can find pictures showing how these cables should be routed?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Here is the Engine Electrical schematic diagram I got from my Service Manual.

It sure looks to me like I'm missing a 2nd positive cable in order for this to work.

View attachment Engine Starting Schematic.pdf

If someone can point me to pictures showing how these cables need to be routed it would really be helpful.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I have done a few of them at work and have always just run another set of cables from Batt 1 to batt 2 up and over the top of the radiator and down the right fender to batt 2.

Schematic joins the positive cables at the starter.

Back