• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Injector pump runaway

Welcome.
Need more details. What injection pump? If ds4 then yes try your spare pmd.
If db2, has anyone been in the top to turn up fuel screw? Wrong assembly on governor will do it.

Is it turbo? If so take of filter to turbo hose and get a board to cover the intake to starve it of air incase it happens again.
If non turbo, take off air filter to cover intake manifold with board.
If non turbo hummer or van remove air horn for covering with board.

some generators have a split air intake. You have to remove both side air horns, and plug one off before starting unless you have two people each with a board.

Also check your engine oil before trying again. It Could have drank some of the oil as fuel. If that happens at high enough rpm, the key will not shut it off. This is why the board becomes needed.

Welcome to the truckstop 2003.
As stated, probably the PMD is going bad. I had my truck rev against the red line, then kill to an idle, back to red line then idle for about three miles before I could get to a place to pull off, clouds of black smoke with each rev. New PMD and good as new.
Guess we need to know the hear of the truck to determine if it does, or does not have a PMD.
If there is a run away and the ignition switch dont kill the engine, then it is time to slap a board over the intake manifold. Cut off the air supply.
physical body parts will get damaged so never try that with a hand, rags will get sucked in then more damage can occur.
Reason it is suggested to check the oil level is if, the turbo seals crap out then engine oil Is sucked into the intake and there will be no shitting it down, until the engine runs out of oil, or, the board is slapped over the intake.

Back