• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Injector problems for an LLY

mnnmaz

Recruit
Reaction score
OK I hate to ask this but I don't know the answer...

The 05 LLY has a known #2 and #7 injector harness failure but my question is: What are the systems or knowing that the #2 and #3 injector harness needs to be "ice picked" / GM fixed?

Now please be NICE and explain to the lowest common denominator ie. us normal folk don't have a tech 2 or the expertise as some here... :frown2: so please try to help in a friendly easy way...

Thanks for the help....:cheers2:

you can while the truck is runing like pooh jiggle the connector and see if it smooths out a bit, or just do the fix and insure you that it isn't it. not very hard to fix.

Since we don't have the archive of the old site could you possible explain what the fix is and/or how to go about fixing it for the new guys that happen to show up here.

Also, tell what the systems are to know if you need to do it :yikes: I just wana know what the systems are so if I drive in the middle of no where I know it could possibly be this....

Since we don't have the archive of the old site could you possible explain what the fix is and/or how to go about fixing it for the new guys that happen to show up here.

I only have a cheap $80 code reader and when I had problems I just read the codes. What you are looking for is a 0201 - 0208. The last number is the cylinder that is having problems. 2 4 6 8 on the drivers side. 1 3 5 7 on the passenger side. I don't have any pictures on where to pick the connectors, but I'm sure someone will chime in.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Also, tell what the systems are to know if you need to do it :yikes: I just wana know what the systems are so if I drive in the middle of no where I know it could possibly be this....

Symptoms? Very rough idle/ride, feels almost like it's "cammin" or running out of fuel. Very noisy too. You WILL notice it. Again, very easy to fix.

Symptoms? Very rough idle/ride, feels almost like it's "cammin" or running out of fuel. Very noisy too. You WILL notice it. Again, very easy to fix.

Symptoms? All listed above plus it sounds like a Powerstoke and will not accelerate or hardly pull itself.

Symptoms? All listed above plus it sounds like a Powerstoke and will not accelerate or hardly pull itself.
no i was stating what the symptoms were. He said systems, thought he meant symptoms. I've already had this issue a while back. Thanks though.

Could be as simple as a limp with slight knocking and CEL on... Friend had it happen on his LLY... 150k plus miles...

Could this be the possible cause of a fuel knock type sound (only on one cylinder) while the engine is cold? It does have a lopey idle and cuts out at WOT but the balance rates are in check and it has no codes.

It could be, it is a known issue that strikes quite a bit at a wide range of milage, so since the "fix" is free, it is definately worth a shot.

The LLY has an injector harness issue. It can rub through at the alternator bracket or injectors #2 and or #7 connector can get bad and need the ice pick treatment. The injectors, like anything else mechanical, can fail, but it is not as common and you can fix them one at a time.

So pretty much I should stay away from the LLY when I finally decide to get a d-maxi?

If you get scared over a little broken wires, then you should think about avoiding anything and everything as nothing is fail proof. There are other reasons to consider a different rev of Dmax than the injector harness issue...

Ok just wanted to share my personal experience with this common problem. I have a 2005 Chevy LLY 6.6 Duramax. I recently started having problems intermittently with my truck sounding like a farm tractor when starting. So I decided to hook up my OBDII Super Chips reader. I got the three error codes pictured below.(see attached pisc) The same three errors repeated twice after clearing them and re starting the truck. I did this just to verify codes. After my inspection of the #2 and #7 injector connectors, I was able to narrow it down to the #2 injector connector. This was done first by wiggling the #2 connector while engine was was off and then restarting the engine. When I re started the engine it would start normally until I wiggled connector again and then it went back to the tractor sound. I was able to recreate the problem three times by doing this just to be sure this was where my problem was. The issue is bad injector connectors. Now Ive heard of the "Ice Pick" technique. I personally dont suggest it. I'm not the type of person to just "Bandaid" fix anything especially when it comes to my vehicles. Ice picking the connectors works if your in the middle of nowhere and in a tight spot. Again its a temporary bandaid not a permanent fix. It will do it again I guarantee it. (I won't go over how to ice pick your connectors here but if Google it you'll find what your looking for.) Anyway the problem again is faulty injector connectors. This particular truck has a bad history of this problem. If you do the research on GMs recall page they have it listed along with the error codes. So to fix it all I did was cut the end of #2 injector connector and replaced it with one I bought on EBay. (See pic. The price is for two connectors) These are good connectors by the way with 14 guage wire. I bought two just in case #7 started acting up. Took about 20 to 30 minutes to replace #2 because I removed some braces and mounts to get to the injector. You need to do this so you'll have enough room to crimp your butt connectors when installing new injector connector wires. I then connected the new female injector connector to the male injector plug. Next I cleared all error codes on the truck before I started it. Fired right up. No issues no codes. No check engine light. I then ran it for about 30 to 40 minutes. I couldnt recreate problem even after stopping and wiggling connector like before. Anyway I hope this helps someone if your having the same issues. I haven't seen anyone online or on YouTube correct the problem permanently just temporarily fix it by ice picking.

Robert
"The Midnight Express"20190216_090015.jpg20190216_090021.jpg20190216_090028.jpg20190216_082906.jpg20190216_082921.jpg20190216_084902.jpg20190216_085001.jpg20190216_085203.jpgScreenshot_20190216-181437.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm convinced no matter what you do, the problem will come back. I had a friend who is a hot shot driver, even with the GM updated plugs WITH support brackets, he still has problems every 50-60k miles. I pull the plugs apart, remove the pins, clean the green crap out of them, use my term8nal picks to tighten the pins, put them back together and pack them with dialectric grease. So new connectors, ice pick, or even cleaning the stock plugs, the problem always seems to eventually come back.

Maybe in your case. I've talked to quite a few people on the matter. Everyone who has done the same thing I've done say it's corrected the problem with no issues. Good luck.

Back