• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I have a bad 700r4, can i use a 4l60e/4l80e? i cannot find a 700 for a diesel anywher

wdkingery

Reaction score
i've got a 1989 6.2l diesel GMC Sierra with 221k miles. It has a 700r4 behind it, and it seems the torque converter is dying, dumping trash into the valvebody and causing the valves to stick.. long story short, i need a TQ converter and transmission.

But diesel 700r4's are impossible to find in good shape used, and my NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOR owns a transmission shop and wants TWENTY FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS to rebuild my 700 (thanks guy :mad2: )

it seems a 93-95 gmc/chevy trans is much easier to find.

what is this swap going to entail?
does that gas pedal have a sensor on it?
will my current TPS work? i have a VSS on my 2wd.
will i need the instrument cluster?

anyone done this before? please help; my wife is going to strangle me soon if she doesn't get to drive that truck again (she just bought it, and the tq converter dumped on it.)

No, neither the 4L60E or 4L80E will directly swap in. Your 4L60 or 700R4 is a hydraulically shifted trans with an electric lockup in it where as the 4L60E and 4L80E are both fully electrically shifted. You would have to add in a TCM or do a manual shift conversion to either one as well as driveshaft and trans crossmember changes for the different legth trans. You can have a 700R4 rebuilt for alot less than $2500 if you R&R it yourself.

The 4l60 guts fit in and are a good upgrade for the 700r4. The valvebody does not interchange at all. An yes parts to upgrade and rebuild should run around 700 to 1,000 depending what you need and how far you intend on pushing the transmission.

Ohhh okay, I understand your issue now. This is Jason by the way, you texted me yesterday.

I had a 4L80e rebuilt here in Charlotte for $1000 about 5 years ago. Very reputable shop. He pulled it, rebuilt it with new solenoids, clutches, planetary and torque converter. Then reinstalled it. 6 month warranty too. Send me a PM or just text me. I'll get you his number, his advise is free too.

A 700r4 can be built to handle way more torque and harmonics than a 6.2 can put out for far cheaper than a 4l80e swap. Plus you still keep the deeper first gear. I'd venture to say you probably get slightly better fuel economy with a 700r4 as well.

I had a friend rebuild my 4L80E, but he's in Toronto area. Parts were close to $1000 w TC and all best quality soft parts and SH to US. There's alot of places to skip, like bushings, using "good enuff" used parts. I have many vids of us, and he post vids of whatever tranny he's building in his basement. He charges $600, FYI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSUzufWs_fE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_YVrgD3Yc0

there's a few reputable shops on ebay, just don't forget to calculate the shipping and core charge

Out of curiosity why not use a gasser 700r4? Isn't the torque converter the only part that is different?

The governor assembly in them is also quite a bit different since teh diesels shift at 3200RPM's vs the 4200 or so that a gasser does, I believe there was also some changes to the throttle valve calibration in the valve body, and a slightly different pressure valve setup for extra line pressure. Most of which can be rectified in a built 700R4 for relatively cheap money(the governor assembly is a rare one I have heard since the 700R4 behind a diesel was a rare option with most getting the turbo 400).

I thought the TV (kickdown) cable was what adjusted the down shifting on the 700r4?

The TV cable controls the throttle pressure in the valve body. Throttle pressure VS governor pressure controls when a shift takes place. So the TV and governor work hand in hand with each other.

The TV cable controls the throttle pressure in the valve body. Throttle pressure VS governor pressure controls when a shift takes place. So the TV and governor work hand in hand with each other.
You will need a low stall torque converter in addition to the diesel governor.
Even though the 6.2’s are not turbo there is a lot of torque which stock 700’s won’t handle for long. You need to beef up the clutches & bands.

You will need a low stall torque converter in addition to the diesel governor.
Even though the 6.2’s are not turbo there is a lot of torque which stock 700’s won’t handle for long. You need to beef up the clutches & bands.

Yowza... Digging-up a 9-1/2 year old thread. I guess we will see if the OP even still has the vehicle.

But, Welcome to TTS! :)

Back