• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I HATE GM/DODGE POWER STEERING BOXES

FellowTraveler

Reaction score
Every dollar buying rebuilt or re-manufactured steering boxes has been a waste the latest is one from NAPA yea, it has a warrantee however; it never fails to be only substandard rebuilds or GM re-manufactured units the consumer is left with.

I'll jump into the newer 6 bolt cover steering box soon.....everything I have read about them is good.

Care to share more? Steering boxes is not my strong suit. Would like to learn more.
Well, in my case the GMT425 had always had steering issues related to that mall parking VOV and shi__y steering boxes I've lost count on how many steering boxes I have replaced with the latest from NAPA being worse that the one it replaced.....I just tired of changing them out so I'm going to the newer design box that has 6 bolt top cap and far better and bigger bearings from what I've read, it's pricey but at this point it makes more sense to go with newer design rather than keep replacing the "crappy" box design the GMT425 came with.

I really don't beat on this truck when off road and can't understand why so much failure and such shi__y rebuilds and re-manufactured units are only offerings.

This is what I'm going to. https://www.pscmotorsports.com/88-98-gm-2500-3500-4x4-xd-steering-gear.html

This is a different part number however; images shows the difference between the stock GMT425 steering box and the new. https://www.pscmotorsports.com/99-06-gm-2500-3500-4x4-xd-steering-gear-box.html

Last edited:
Redheads are CRAP! Don't waste your money. Mine has 16k miles and I have to refill it every 2-3 weeks with fluid, and its getting sloppy already. Then again, it was never right from the get go, and they told me to run it. The problem is mexican rebuilders, or mexican/chinese parts to repair these old obsolete boxes. I'm planning on getting a used one out of the junkyard, reseal it, adjust it, and put it in this POS redheads place.

And FYI, the PSC box, from those who have done it, say it is not a direct bolt in. They've had to dent the frame in, install washers, and other means just to tighten the mounting bolts. And there has been problems with the steering shaft hooking up. You're swapping from a saginaw to a modified hybrid borgeson.

Interesting, this is the 1st I've heard about the fitment issue "I need to contact them before I jump into the conversion" thanks. I suspect I'll deal with whatever it takes to convert not to continue the R&R of the Saginaw boxes.

I do see two different part numbers for the GMT400 series and the newer series for this box I wonder what is the difference there?

Last edited:
The steering shafts seem to be a larger diameter and they said they had to spread the coupler quite alot.

anyone have any experience with theses?
I suspect that is El Junko too as evidenced by the ACR cap.

I look at it as obsolete as compared too the bigger beefier box available from PSC....I also seem to remember I think it was FERM had mentioned years ago to stay away from the brand too.

anyone have any experience with theses?
Yep, I had one, complete POS! Nothing but problems with it from day one. You can read all about them on the DODGE boards and all the troubled they've had. It's a cross mix of parts from a GM B body variable ratio box, and a 1500 steering box with a small piston.

Back