• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HOW TO: Swap the IP Cluster on your GMT-800 Truck

Z71_Silvy

Reaction score
Despite holding the crown of best truck in the world, the GMT-800 basic cluster is not all that exciting. It is very functional, well designed, etc...but from a style stand point...it could be improved. So, I started to research the idea of swapping the cluster after reading about how easy it is. For me, it had to be a direct fit...from mounting points to the wiring. In the past, I had rewired my TWO wire looms in my Crown Vic to make a 2003+ Mercury Marauder cluster function properly in my 2001 CV. As challenging and fun as that was...I did not want to do that on my nice, low mileage truck. BUT, I was in luck as the GM cluster for the 800s are easily swappable. I also wanted the stock look of a trans temp gauge...which, lucky for me, came in my new cluster.

********PLUG WARNING********

I bought my cluster from Digital Dash Solutions. You can find them through Google AND on E-Bay. First and foremost, DDS is a great company to do business with. Very professional, knowledgeable, fast service, and their E-Bay rating is nothing short of phenomenal. If you need a cluster...there is no reason to look anywhere else.

Anyway, on to the install. Here is what we will be replacing:
IMG_1682.jpg

First, wash and dry your truck. I realize that this has no bearing at all on installing the cluster, but your truck should NOT be dirty.
IMG_0471.jpg

Next, set your parking brake:
IMG_1687.jpg

Then, turn your key to 'run', and put the truck in 1...or as low as the shift lever will go:
IMG_1688.jpg

Move your steering wheel to it's lowest position:

IMG_1690.jpg

Next, you will need to gently pull the dash bezel away from the dash. I suggest starting at one corner and working your way around. It is just held in with clips...there are NO SCREWS (thank you GM!):
IMG_1691.jpg

Soon, it will look like this:
IMG_1692.jpg

IMG_1693.jpg

IMG_1694.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg

Looking at the cluster, you will see FOUR (4) 7mm, hex screws holding in the cluster. These are the screws and tools I used to remove them:
IMG_1696.jpg

IMG_1698.jpg

Once you have the screws removed, grasp the BOTTOM of the cluster and tilt it towards you:
IMG_1700.jpg

The cluster will make it's was out, but be careful as the wiring harness is not all that long. Speaking of the wiring harness, here it is as it sits in the cluster:
IMG_1701.jpg

Note- the wiring harness plugs into the top of the cluster...dead center. The grey clip faces up, blue part down.

And here is that harness once removed:

IMG_1703.jpg

Installation is exactly the reverse of the steps above. Once done, check to make sure that everything works:
IMG_1706.jpg

Oh...and one little tip...be sure to remove the protective lens film before installing everything back together...:
IMG_1709.jpg

Durrr......................:frustration: :fail:
The funny part is that they only reason I even noticed the blue film was still on there was because of the shot above...
I will have to get daytime shots tomorrow as I ran out of light. All in all, it looks fantastic...better than I thought it would. Very happy!

--------------------------

Before and after:

IMG_1682.jpg

IMG_1714.jpg

---------------------------

Just for future reference:

1999-2002 STOCK cluster:
99-02stock.jpg

1999-2002 DENALI cluster:
99-02Denali.jpg

1999-2002 ESCALADE cluster
99-02Escalade.jpg

------------------

2003-2006 STOCK cluster:
03-06Stock.jpg

2003-2006 DENALI cluster:
03-06Denali.jpg

2003-2006 ESCALADE cluster:
03-06Escalade.jpg

2003-2006 SS cluster:
03-06SS.jpg

The new ones...as in the GMT-900s?

They are...but my cluster is from a 2006 Escalade. Any GMT-800 cluster from 1999-2002 is swappable, and any cluster from 2003-2007 classic is swappable.

Thanks for moving...didn't even see the DIY section.

Back