• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How to reroute your PCV ( PCV Reroute )

Randy_the_Hack

Reaction score
Hi guys...

I've had dozens of inquiries (both here and in another forum) regarding how to reroute your PCV. The following instructions are how I rerouted mine on my LLY. Other trucks, as I understand it, are nearly identical, though the pics might look a little different.

This is one of the easiest mods you can do to your truck. Here's what it takes:

Parts:

• 1 1” barstool leg cap
  • 3 5/8” pushon king nipples or barbed nipples
  • 1 5/8” T connector
  • 3 5/8” hose clamps
  • 1 6-7’ 5/8” heater hose
  • 2-4 zip ties
  • Teflon tape
Tools:

• Regular screwdriver
  • Pliers
  • Box knife
Here's what to do:

1. Remove the resonator (the 6.6L plastic thing) – one hose clamp to loosen, then remove it and set it aside.
    P2280025.jpg
  2. With the pliers, grab hold of the clamp on the large hose leading to the turbo, then lift the hose off the turbo inlet.
    StockPCV.jpg
  3. With the box knife, cut the two PCV hoses that lead to the large hose you just pulled off of the turbo inlet. Be sure to cut the PCV hoses as close to the fittings as possible. Once you have it free, throw the fitting you’ve just cut and removed as far as you can.
    Pcvt.jpg
  4. Wind some Teflon tape onto the threads of the barbs and mount into the T connector. Tighten to suit yourself. Take the barstool leg cap and shove it onto the turbo inlet. Since there’s a vacuum, there’s no need to clamp it in place; it’ll stay there.
    Barstoolcap.jpg
  5. Slide two of the clamps onto the PCV hoses, and then shove the two barbs onto the PCV hoses. Finally tighten down the hose clamps. Take the third hose clamp and slip over one end of the new heater hose. Shove it onto the third barb of the T connector. Tighten the hose clamp. Here’s where I oriented my T assembly upright, so that any actual oil would remain in the hoses and hopefully wind back up in the engine rather than down the heater hose. Everyone does this different, but I don’t think it matters much.
    P3020047.jpg
  6. Routing the hose is up to you, but I ran it over to the back side of the driver side wheel well and then down along the frame. Make sure that you cut the end of the heater hose at an angle so it won’t become clogged with mud or ice (or anything else).
    P3020057.jpg
  7. Run the hose along your frame, using the zip ties to hold it in place against the wiring harness.
    P3020062.jpg

Replace the resonator and you’re done. BTW, if you’ve not already done so, get a 2” plumber’s test plug, and block off the resonator. You can do this and still replace the resonator over it so it looks like stock.

That's it. My thanks to LarryJewel and SweetDiesel for a couple of pics I didn't have; the rest are mine.

Good luck!

what are the gains and benifits of this mod ?

I used to have oil weepage on my Turbo Intercooler Pipes. GM says that it's normal 'cause of closed PCV system...:rolleyes:

When I did an open system reroute it stopped the oil weepage. Motor seems to run better. :)

what are the gains and benifits of this mod ?

Keeps you from blowing the IC boots off of your intercooler when the engine is under load. If the intercooler gets enough oil residue in it, they will blow off... and guaranteed to be at the least convenient time.

Hi guys...

Parts:

• 1 1” barstool leg cap
  • 3 5/8” pushon king nipples or barbed nipples
  • 1 5/8” T connector
  • 3 5/8” hose clamps
  • 1 6-7’ 5/8” heater hose
  • 2-4 zip ties
  • Teflon tape

Can I get all of these parts at Home Depot or Lowes? Is there another name for the nipples?

Home Depot or Lowes or your favorite local hardware store should be able to set you up. I bought all my materials at Lowes.

IIRC, "barbed nipples" is the typical description...

Can't you get a barbed tee? It would look better and be less parts to put together. If not, take a look at the 3/4" brass pex tee. It might work. (3/4" pex isn't much over 5/8" ID)

Finally got around to doing mine and just finished. I have 3 barstool caps left over (smallest pack was a 4-pack)...If anyone is planning on doing this, shoot me a PM with your address b/f October 28th and I'll send ya one.

Great posting

Much thanks to Randy for the pictures and detailed instructions as well as the quick reply to questions. I found most of the stuff needed in the local junk yard and it made for a quick and fun job on a sunny afternoon. Thanks again!

can you do the PCV reroute on a 07 LBZ I got the plastic instead of hoses coming from the motor

Back