• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How To: Replace ignition key switch

deejaaa

Diesel Beginner
Reaction score
My ignition key switch on the 93 stuck in the run position yesterday. figured the cylinder broke, i took it apart and snapped some pics so i would be able to get it back the way it came apart.
after i removed the wheel, this what it looked like:
DSC00122.jpg

the plate will need removed, there are 2 torx screws, one at 9 o'clock, other 12 o'clock:
DSC00129.jpg

move the plate to get to the upper one:
DSC00130-1.jpg

lock ring needs removing, this gave me the hardest time out of everything. used 2 sockets, large washer, tightened wheel nut which compressed wheel lock. pry ring off. used small screwdriver and an awl.
DSC00135.jpg

ring worked off:
DSC00136.jpg

cover will come off now:
DSC00139.jpg

everything from here on will come out easy:
DSC00141.jpg

removed parts:
DSC00144.jpg

4 screws hold the turn mech in place, remove hazard switch:
DSC00145.jpg

DSC00147.jpg

DSC00148.jpg

DSC00149.jpg

DSC00152-1.jpg

lay turn mech aside, no need to remove:
DSC00154.jpg

small torx, same size as the other 2 removed earlier, behind key buzzer switch, is pin that holds key switch:
DSC00155.jpg

DSC00157.jpg

key switch removes w/ ease:
DSC00162.jpg

i will get another on tomorrow from the FLAPS and will probably have it back together in less than an hour. now that I've done it, the next one would take no more than 2 hours total R&R.

Last edited:
Thanks for the write up. First time is always the Time Killer. I told a friend of mine that it takes me about 3-5 hours to figure out how to do something in an hour or so.

Last edited:
Great write-up, deejaa, and thanks for the pics! You make a tough job look easy!

(Heading over to the Tech library now...)

Jim

bought the more expensive(better?)cylinder this morning, Napa. $35.00, including tax. cheaper one was $15.00. took about an hour to get it all back in. don't know what i would of done if that if it would have done this while i was not near tools or a store. when i get the cap streamlined i will be carrying a tool box in the back. guess i need to get a few in there right now. the OG cylinder looked like it had been turned a few hundred thousand times.

There is a special tool made to compress the lock ring. Used mine many times. On the 93 I modified the ingition cylinder to work with the 95&^ keys. That way I could use one key on three trucks.

Couldn't help but notice the difference in daylight from beginning to end of procedure..:D

Fun fun.

On the old rigs (73-87) the tumbler is held in place by a very well hidden spring loaded blade. Nice to see a better setup. Thanks for the write-up.

The tool to compress the spring is available at Sears. It's about 40$ and well worth it. I just bought one last weekend when I couldn't find the one I had. Just be careful how much you crank down on it, it can bend the cover.

Also, you stopped at the key but if you have tilt and need to pull the next sectoin, good luck getting the pieces back in for the highbeam linkage. what a C---...

Back