• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How To Change Your Allison Spin On Filter.

durallymax

Reaction score
A very important part of your trucks maintenance schedule that is often overlooked. This write up will walk you through it all.

How To Change Your Allison Spin On Filter
The Allison transmission is unique in its own way compared to other automatics as it has two filters, both an internal sump filter and an external spin on filter. According to Allison and GM you will never need to change the Internal filter until you rebuild your Allison and with the cost of rebuilding an Allison many just opt for a new transmission anyways. However the spin on filter does need to be changed every 12,000 miles to keep your tranny clean and happy. Also if you just bought your truck it’s a good idea to do this right away to start fresh as you never know what the previous owner did. Not changing the spin on filter can cause awkward shifts and if it gets plugged it can even burnt up clutches. So its cheap insurance. I would recommend getting one from the local Allison parts counter. They have the best price. Gm rapes you for one. You shouldn’t loose much fluid. If you want though you can pick some up you’ll need about a quart max. For the 5spd it needs to meet Dex III standards, for 6spd it needs to meet Dex VI. Also while you are getting your filter you may want to grab a new filter magnet as it is common for these to be missing due to dumb mechanics or dumb quick lube people. Plus I tend to just use a new one anyways as they like to slip out of my hands when cleaning them. If you drop them from like a foot off the ground they will snap. They’re maybe 3 or 4 bucks from Allison

What You Will Need
1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Filter wrench or filter pliers
2.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Small drain pan
3.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]New Spin On Filter
4.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]New Magnet (optional)
5.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Ouart of ATF
Procedure
1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Roll under your truck with the filter wrench/pliers, drain pan, and filter with new magnet installed.
2.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Spin the old filter off, these are very tight so they take some muscle.
3.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Once its off lube the o-ring on the new filter with some ATF and spin it on. Once it contacts the case spin it at least one more full turn.
4.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]And now your done. Get the trans up to temp(150+) then shift it into reverse, then drive then park and go out and check the fluid level to make sure it is still in the right area. If you need to add any you add it through the dipstick tube.
5.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Now your done. Pretty simple.

Here is a picture of the filter. Its the little red one.

DSCN0153.jpg

Here is a picture of the magnet.

DSCN0154.jpg

Vinny. I got the genuine Allison filters and mine didn't come with a new magnet, I just put the old one back on the new one. Should I be worried?

You're good Jeff. Everybody just wipes the old one off real good and reuses it.

Yep, they dont come with a new one and you dont need one. i am clumsy so I always have extras, if you drop it, even just onto the table it WILL break.

That's about right. I've heard some for $9 from Mike, but shipping makes up the rest. I'll try to find the site bought my last batch from.

$11 is a good price. I've been paying about $14 ea delivered from Merchant. I would like to see a better price myself.

do you go to Polk??

Im not lying in my writeup when i say the actual allison parts desk has THE cheapest prices on Allison parts.

Heres an Example:

Turbine Speed Sensor

Gm Dealership: $98
GMpartsdirect: $56
Allison Parts Counter: $28

Yes, I have been getting them from Polk. I have seen people on DP say they pay $7-$8 for them. I was just wondering how the prices compare between Allison dealers.

My only local Allison dealer would be Coffman GMC in Aurora. I'll have to see what they say but they're a GMC AND Allison dealer so I'd guess no price break...

Thanks for the link. Last time I did that it was a different locator. You're right, there are a couple of others around I could check with.

Back