• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How to bleed an 01 cummins.

I don't have any experience with this engine, on all the diesels I own I crack the line feeding the IP, some IP's have a bleed screw on them, then crack all the injector lines. The Cummins shouldn't be any different.

On an 01 i believe you start by opening the fuel filter lid slightly, bump the key to start it, and let the lift pump run to get fuel up to the filter. Once you get good fuel out the filter, close it back up, and I always cracked open the front 3 lines(they weren't as hard to get to as the rear 3), and spin it over until you get good solid fuel streams or it tries to fire. Once it does try to fire or gets good fuel out them, close them back up, and turn it over until it fires up.

so after we got it running it quit again. no fuel from LP. His sending unit needed to be replaced so we figured it was a good time to do the in tank LP conversion. Got the kit and got it installed and still no fuel. Diving into it a little deeper I discovered he wasn't getting any power to the LP. Turns out power comes from the ECM. So for a work around I found a fuse that was hot in only the run position and added a tap to signal the relay. ended up also having to remove the ground and ground it somewhere else. So now for a couple of ?s Had 2 codes 1689 and 1688 IIRC. said something about auxillary inputs. So I cleared the codes but I'm wondering if they'll come back because of the disconnected LP wires.

Next ? is IIRC the pump pressure is supposed to be fairly low, any possibility of an in tank conversion for a 6.5?

The fuel system in that truck uses a regulator built into the banjo bolt for the return line from the injection pump to maintain 14-15 psi. And are you sure on the codes? P1688 is an injection pump death code(internal fault inside injection pump), and P1689 is a loss of communications between the ECM and VP44 injection pump. Since you already have an ECM issue, it could be your problem. I read where others have found the P1y89 to be a wiring problem in the injection pump plug, and others have found it to be a poor ground to the PDC.

Back